Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
what would be antonym of "EXTENSION", I was asked to choose between word "CONDENSATION " and "SUBTRACTION".

Please Help...

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello asifahmedawan and welcome to the forum. :)

I can't see how "condensation" or "subtraction" can be suitable antonyms for "extension."

Can you provide a full sentence and/or describe the context you have in mind?
That would make it easier for us to understand what you're after and therefore to provide a more accurate answer.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's a stretch (no pun intended), but since "extension" is making something bigger, "subtraction" would be the opposite since it is making something smaller.

That is, given the choice between "subtraction" and "condensation." There is no way "condensation" is the best answer of the two.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suspect the question is trying to trap the reader into thinking that 'condensation' might be the noun form when condense means to reduce or shorten.

But I agree, since an extension can add to something, subtraction is the only real choice.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Condensed is a good antonym for expanded but the noun forms don't work the same way.

asifahmedawan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
It was a simple MCQ in a job test, it was asked to choose choose an antonym of extension from condensation or subtraction.

I thought it might be condensation because it formally presents meaning to shorten or reduce some thing, in compare with subtraction it literally means to cut a part from something..

I read members' comments, i think i have made a wrong choice.... My bad i think

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Neither is the correct antonym if a context is not given. Language just doesn't work that way. 'Extension' means a lot of things for which neither antonym would be likely.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Extension is the adding on of something, which you can call "addition".
The opposite of that is subtraction.
Condensation is a change of state from vapour to liquid and has nothing to do with quantity.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Extension is the adding on of something, which you can call "addition".
The opposite of that is subtraction.
Condensation is a change of state from vapour to liquid and has nothing to do with quantity.
Yes, in some contexts. But if you extend a rubber band, you don't need to add anything to it. And when you finish extending the rubber band, it contracts; it neither condenses, nor is anything subtracted.
If you condense a paragraph, you're reducing the size (quantity).

In any event, you might want to read my post #8 again.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Granted, it is not a very smart question given the multiple meanings of the words given. But then it is not a question of semantics.
Being part of a test given to job applicants, it is not for you to question the question, ask for context etc. or prove that you are smarter than the one who set the question.

The objective is give the best answer, with the given words.
You are asked to choose a pair of opposites out of three words - extension, condensation and subtraction.
Extension and subtraction have a common denominator in that they about a change of size/quantity of something, as in addition and subtraction.
Why would one consider the idea of extension of a rubber band which springs back to its original size? Or condensing a paragraph of words to make it shorter? Both of which would not lead you to any answer.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
But then it is not a question of semantics.
tedmc, it's exactly a question of semantics. It's a test of whether you know the meaning of words - what else would you call it?
Proving oneself smart isn't the point. People post these questions here because they want opinions. We all give opinions, and I'll continue to point out unfair or ambiguous questions if the OP asks.

Why would one consider the idea of extension of a rubber band which springs back to its original size? Or condensing a paragraph of words to make it shorter? Both of which would not lead you to any answer.
To either answer? OK. But why would you choose a context that led you to one answer over a context that led you to the other answer? You've given 'subtraction' as the answer because it fits the meaning of 'extension' that you've come up with.

A few weeks ago, we were assured by several native speakers that fog or mist can 'extend'. The opposite of this (for fog and mist) would be condensing. Are you denying that 'condensation' is a possible antonym for 'extension' in this case? Why is your arbitrarily chosen context better than my suggestion that neither answer is the one correct answer without a context?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.