Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Quote from a Harvard open course:
Right. Well I think particularly in the US so many people’s beliefs are driven by their religious beliefs and umm like Mark the other day, I’m Christian, I’m Catholic and I had to decide for myself like on a lot of thought, a lot of prayer, a lot of conversations with other people that I disagreed with, the Catholic stand point that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin and once I came to that sort of conclusion with my personal relationship with God, like I mean that sounds hokey right, that’s like oh religious but a lot of people are religious and that’s where they draw their beliefs and views from umm that’s when I could say yeah I’m I’m down with the state saying go same sex marriage because I’m OK with that and I think that’s morally OK.
Does 'disagreed with' refer back to other people , or does it mean that she disagreed with Catholic stand point? According to the punctuation ,it seems that it refers back to other people. But it's oral transcript ,I'm not sure if the punctuation is right.
Thank you.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She had conversations with people with whom she disagreed.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think so, but I am not a teacher.

I don't think so, because there is a comma between 'disagreed with' and 'the Catholic stand point'.

Yes, I agree. But it's an oral transcript , I 'm afraid that there may be some mistakes there. I've listened to this part serval times, the speaker paused at 'other people' ,then continued with 'that I disagreed with the Catholic stand point'. It sounded like she was saying the she disagreed with the Catholic stand point.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
She had conversations with people with whom she disagreed.

From the transcript ,yes, it means so. But from what I heard , it sounded like the speaker was saying she disagreed with Catholic stand point. She paused at 'other people' ,then continued with 'that I disagreed with the Catholic stand point'.
If the punctuation is right, does it mean she was saying that she decided for herself that the Catholic stand point is that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin ?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It sounded like she was saying the she disagreed with the Catholic stand point.
I think it would sound so if 'that' was omitted before 'I disagreed with', but I am not a teacher.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We would need more context of this "stream of consciousness" babbling in order to figure it out. Her meaning would be easy to tell from a recording, I think. Not so much a transcript.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think it would sound so if 'that' was omitted before 'I disagreed with', but I am not a teacher.

Could be that 'that' refers back to 'decide for myself'? I had to decide for myself... that I disagreed with the Catholic stand point that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin. But that would be contradictory to the fact that she is a defender of same sex marriage.
If the punction is right as it is, should there be a 'is' there? I had to decide for myself... (that) the Catholic stand point is that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Here's more context:
Michael Sandel: All right and the analogyin the same sex marriage case is you said you’re a defender of same sex marriage.

Andrea: Yeah

Michael Sandel: But you only came to that view once you were persuaded on the underlying moral question.

Andrea: Right. Well I think particularly in the US so many people’s beliefs are driven by their religious beliefs and umm like Mark the other day, I’m Christian, I’m Catholic and I had to decide for myself like on a lot of thought, a lot of prayer, a lot of conversations with other people that I disagreed with, the Catholic stand point that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin and once I came to that sort of conclusion with my personal relationship with God, like I mean that sounds hokey right, that’s like oh religious but a lot of people are religious and that’s where they draw their beliefs and views from umm that’s when I could say yeah I’m I’m down with the state saying go same sex marriage because I’m OK with that and I think that’s morally OK.

I think her point is that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin , because she is a defender of same sex marriage .
Suppose the punction is right as it is, should there be a 'is' there? ie., I had to decide for myself... (that) the Catholic stand point is that homosexuality itself isn’t a sin.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Could be that 'that' refers back to 'decide for myself'? I had to decide for myself... that I disagreed with the Catholic stand point...
I think it is possible, but I am not a teacher.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If she's a defender of same sex marriage then she disagrees with the Catholic position.

She decided for herself that she disagreed with the Catholic standpoint. She decided for herself that homosexuality isn't a sin.

Again, stream of consciousness ramblings. I don't know why you try to make sense of these things.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note that the word is punctuation, not punction.

:roll:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Are you're watching the videos of Michael Sandel's lectures on YouTube, masterding? If you are, it would be much more useful to provide a link, with the time of the sentence in question. The uncorrected transcripts are only a clerk's guess at the professor's/students' meanings.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'I had to decide for myself... that I disagreed with the Catholic stand point and that homosexuality itself isn't a sin...'
Should 'and' have been added?

Not a teacher.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'I had to decide for myself... that I disagreed with the Catholic stand point and that homosexuality itself isn't a sin...'
Should 'and' have been added?

Not a teacher.

If a person set out to write a cogent argument, they would certainly word things differently. This is a transcript of a stream-of-consciousness rambling of a college student. The utility of studying this I have called into question numerous times. Trying to understand it by reading a transcript is an exercise in futility even for native speakers.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are you watching the videos of Michael Sandel's lectures on YouTube, masterding? If you are, it would be much more useful to provide a link, with the time of the sentence in question. The uncorrected transcripts are only a clerk's guess at the professor's/students' meanings.

I'm watching the lectures on some Chinese website . We have no access to YouTube in China, so I'm not sure the time of sentence on YouTube.I believe SoothingDave has given the answer. I believe that's what she meant.
Thank you so much.

masterding

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
For nonnative speakers, oftentimes we'll have a hardtime understanding a video lecture just by watching it , so we need a transcript to help us understand it.But sometimes uncorrect transcripts obscure meanings ,and make things even worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.