• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Question What do you think if you find the mark "※ in the English document made by Japanese?

We Japanese often use the mark "※” to write a note following main sentences.
    For example,

You can make calls for free with this app.
    ※Data transfer costs occur, therefore we recommend a paket flat-rate service.

I know this mark is Japanese one, and also know that asterisk * doesn't mean the same as ※.

So, I'd like to use ※ in our app manual because there are no alternatives of ※.
    Or should I use asterisks?

What do you think ?
    (In the original document,there are so many ※. So "Note" can't be used instead of ※ because of space problems.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Re: What do you think if you find the mark "※ in the English document made by Japan

The dots on the asterisk are added to draw attention. It does mean the same as asterisk.
    Last edited by tedmc; 25-Jun-2015 at 08:31.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: What do you think if you find the mark "※ in the English document made by Japan

Usually the way it's done in English is to have a symbol* or number1 in superscript at the relevant point in the text, then the same number/symbol below explaining the details. The explanation doesn't necessarily follow immediately after the sentence, it often is put down at the bottom of the page, sometimes in smaller print. The symbol/number tells the reader to look someplace below for the specific details.

This practice is particularly common for advertisements, where there are special limits or requirements to qualify for something. These restrictions are often in smaller print, to purposely trick the reader into overlooking them, hence the term 'fine print'.

*Any symbol can work - an asterisk is often used, but I've also seen the following symbols as well - there isn't a specific rule regulating what symbol has to be used.

1Numbers are commonly used, especially with footnotes in academic papers or research.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If it is just more information immediately following a sentence, you can make the additional information in parentheses.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I don't think many would notice much difference to be honest.