• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Arrow When writing can the writer use certain words in the sentence?

I am aware of the subject and the first sentence, after that I was lost as to what to write. I now see every word I write can be a word words or a paragraph. I can use any word in the piece as words within sentences, orderly as well. I see now what was used after the subject and the first sentence, any word that was written from the first sentence to the last sentence words can mean order per sentence? I now see uniformity and order in my writing.

How many paragraphs should the writer have for good writing?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: When writing can the writer use certain words in the sentence?

Enough to say whatever it is you're saying. It will depend upon what you're writing about. I've read horrible books with thousands of paragraphs, and I've read great micro-fiction of no more than a couple of paragraphs.

Perhaps more useful are some guidelines about how many sentences to have in a paragraph. Again, these are not absolute limits but I was told once that there should be at least 3 sentences, and no more than about 8 in a paragraph. Again, not an absolute limit - if you've got short sentences you can have a few more. If they're all long sentences, you''ll probably end up with less of them than in a paragraph composed of short sentences.. Longer paragraphs are harder to read, so you don't want a paragraph that takes up half a page.

Each paragraph should ideally cover one main idea, or topic. When you start a new idea, or topic, or separate train of thought, start a new paragraph. Of course, if you're writing dialogue then it's a new paragraph each time you switch speakers. So, you'll need enough paragraphs to get across all you are trying to communicate.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: When writing can the writer use certain words in the sentence?

Excellent post. When I started writing I could not find the words to use, starting with the third sentence. I was a subject person and any thing below the second sentence lost me, until now. I have learned whatever words you write, can be used within the sentence and paragraphs. I edit when I draft. I have not found my voice or writing style yet, but I am working on it. I thank all for of you putting up with my ranting and raving about verbs and nouns, I quit that. I am now working on grammar and syntax and spelling. I am also working on order when writing. Take when using the word but, I always put a comma between any word and the word but, except in this sentence.

To me it seems I am starting a new paragraph, but I am not? What is the comma used for again?
    Last edited by Paul James; 26-Jun-2015 at 23:23.