Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
A popular South Korean actress depressed after a divorce and distraught over online rumors was found dead Thursday in an apparent suicide, hours after she sent a text message saying "take care of my children no matter what happens."

This sentence has been taken from the following link.

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/South-Korean-actress-Choi-Jin-sil-found-dead-3192031.php

1) What differences will arise if I use 'with' instead of 'over' in "distraught over online rumors"?

2) I know the meaning of 'apparent' and 'suicide'. But what is the meaning of 'apparent suicide'?

3) What is meant with "hours after she sent a text message"? Is it possible to a human to send a message after some hours after his/her death?

Thanks to all.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. 'With' doesn't work in this context.You could be distraught 'with' grief for example, but since we're talking about the source of her distress, we say distraught 'over'.
2. It means that people suspect she committed suicide, but it hasn't officially been confirmed as a suicide yet.
3. Hours after she sent the text message, she committed suicide. She sent a text, then waited a few hours before killing herself.

Nazmul Hassan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Thanks to Skrej for his nice explanation.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There is no need to write a new post just to say "Thank you". It makes us think there is new information or a follow-up question and we spend time opening the thread. Simply click on the "Thank" button at the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves everybody's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.