• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

paraphrase a sentence

1) "Yakitori are bite-sized pieces of chicken that have mariented in a sweet, soy-based sauce called teriyaki sauce, and grilled on a skewer."

This sentence says that Yakitori have mariented in teriyaki sauce. "Sweet" and "soy-based sauce" are modifying the teriyaki sauce, i.e these two adjectives are giving extra information about teriyaki sauce. Am I right?

Let, "sweet" and "soy-based teriyaki sauce" are two different items. ( I want to say sweet is not now modifying teriyaki sauce, and it is different from teriyaki sauce). Let, to make a dish of yakitori we have to marient the pieces of chicken both in sweet and teriyaki sauce. In this case, which form the sentence 1 will take? i,e how one will paraphrase the sentence 1?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: paraphrase a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Nazmul Hassan View Post
    1) "Yakitori are bite-sized pieces of chicken that have been marinated in a sweet, soy-based sauce called teriyaki sauce, and grilled on a skewer."

This sentence says that Yakitori have mariented in teriyaki sauce. "Sweet" and "soy-based sauce" are modifying the teriyaki sauce, i.e these two adjectives are giving extra information about teriyaki sauce. Am I right?

Let, "sweet" and "soy-based teriyaki sauce" are two different items. ( I want to say sweet is not now modifying teriyaki sauce, and it is different from teriyaki sauce). Let, to make a dish of yakitori we have to marient the pieces of chicken both in sweet and teriyaki sauce. In this case, which form the sentence 1 will take? i,e how one will paraphrase the sentence 1?
    Teryaki is a sweet sauce. You can't separate "sweet" and "teryaki".
    Last edited by bhaisahab; 30-Jun-2015 at 12:55. Reason: Fixing typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: paraphrase a sentence

First of all, the words are "marinated" and "marinate". Second, your use of "let" is not correct.

I am not an expert in teriyaki sauce, but from the original, it seems to be both sweet and soy-based.