Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I have a question about the usage of the verb "observe". There are two definitions of the verb "observe" at issue:

-1.1 Watch (someone or something) carefully and attentively

-2.2 Perform or take part in (a rite or ceremony)

If I write this:

"They observed the ground-breaking ceremony."

Is the sentence ambiguous because both def 1.1 and 2.2 would work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
**** I am not a teacher ****

Yes. Without context, we won't know which one of the two it means. (Although, I would hope that 2.2 includes 1.1, otherwise in the context of ground-breaking, it could be dangerous. ;-) ).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's unlikely that the second meaning is meant here IMO. I would use the second meaning for standard, proper rituals like funerals.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It's unlikely that the second meaning is meant here IMO. I would use the second meaning for standard, proper rituals like funerals.

I stand corrected. :oops:

For ground-breaking, is it better to say "They performed the ground-breaking ceremony"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's OK, or had/held, but observe, at least to me, suggests that they were following something like a rite, with a format set out to follow. I know ground-breaking ceremonies tend to be similar, but that is not like ritual.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. I don't see any ambiguity there.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd agree with Tdol - if you're using the definition of 2.2 for observe, then it's referring to something ritualistic or traditional.

For example, we speak of observing the Sabbath, observing a particular holiday, observing a particular custom. They carry the meaning of participating in, but also convey some sense of following a custom, tradition, ritual, etc.

Besides, while there may be a crowd watching a groundbreaking ceremony, there are usually only a few people who actually participate - generally the business/company owner or representative, and some kind of government/state/city official. Maybe one or two other representatives from other entities involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.