• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Functions

I saw a list of sentences with a blank space next to them for writing the function of the sentence.
    The first one was filled like this 'Why don't you all come along? - Invitation'

The confusion for me happens when I see sentences like "I must lose weight" or "You could have worn the red dress".
    I wrote 'resolution' for the first one and 'suggestion' for the second.

The confusion deepened when I saw 'He was pushed? How terrible!'
    Do I write 'comment/exclamation'? ('Exclamation' seemed more appropriate; but it seemed silly to write,
    as writing 'question' would be for the first sentence 'Why don't you all come along?' )

Is it all right if I use more than one word to 'describe' the function of the sentence?
    Am I understanding this correctly? I cannot find more information about it on the internet and I am
    studying to become a teacher.

So links or references to books for further reading will be much appreciated. Also a few examples will be very helpful.
    Last edited by Grammar is confusing; 04-Jul-2015 at 18:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Functions

I don't know what the rules of the assignment allow, but I would probably write both exclamation and question. If you can only write one, then I'd go with exclamation, since you could consider the question as part of the exclamation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Thank you for answering, I found it very useful.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Is the sentence 'Let's go for a movie' a suggestion?
    Someone suggested that I write proposal instead, but I think the word proposal is a lot more serious and would not be appropriate in this context.
    Wouldn't it be more fitting to write 'suggestion' if the sentence read 'Let's go for a movie, shall we?' or would that become an invitation?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Grammar is confusing View Post
    Is the sentence 'Let's go for a movie' a suggestion?
    I think it is an imperative sentence used to express a suggestion, and I would say 'Let's go to the movies' instead of 'I propose that we go to the movies', which sounds too formal, but I am not a teacher.
    Last edited by Matthew Wai; 10-Jul-2015 at 10:24.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

To me, the reason Skrej's suggestion makes complete sense is because:

in, 'He was pushed? How terrible!', the phrase, "He was pushed?", contains a compressed meaning, which if you are not familiar with this type of usage, can cause confusion. On it's own, it may just mean that he was given a shove in the back. However, you wouldn't then say, "How terrible!".

The whole response is based on hearing some really bad news, where, for example someone has told that you someone else has been pushed under a train / off a cliff / off a ship into deep water / under a car. The response to this is actually a contracted mirroring of the news you have just heard; "[Are you telling me that] he was pushed [off a cliff]? How terrible!" It is not actually repeated in the brief exclamation of shock, because you already know from the conversation that he was pushed under a train / off a cliff / off a ship into deep water / under a car, so all the additional detail is left off.

In the actual question they seem to assume that you know the usage of this sort of sentence, and so to test you they haven't told you what terrible thing has happened, you just know that it is something very bad.

They are testing you with combined function sentences.

"Is the sentence 'Let's go for a movie' a suggestion?":
    I feel it is both a suggestion and an invitation. As Skrej has indicated, you need to chose the number of functions allowed in the assignment. If you have to chose one, chose the primary function. The reason it is a suggestion is because you are putting it forward for agreement or discussion. (You are right, your friend is wrong). A proposal is a much more formal suggestion: "A business proposal....", "Several legal proposals...", "Government proposals...", and even, "A marriage proposal....". However, to me, the primary function of, 'Let's go for a movie', is an invitation to have a good time.
    Last edited by Eckaslike; 10-Jul-2015 at 12:33. Reason: Updated for reasons of clarity.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Eckaslike View Post
    ... you need to chose...
    If you have to chose one, chose the primary function.
    I would use 'choose', but I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I wrote that 'Let's go for a movie' is a 'suggestion' in my paper and it was accepted.
    Also for 'He was pushed? How terrible!', I wrote 'exclamation' and it too was accepted.

Thank you Matthew Wai, Eckaslike and Skrej for answering.