Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 123
    #1

    Please help me on these tests

    Hello,

    I have two tests that are so hard at least for me and i can't understand them. i have the answer sheet of them but the explanation for them is too short and it doesn't help me. i need a person to explain them for me completely.

    ---------------------

    1- A suite of instruments called MUPUS that included a probe and hammer ...........

    1 ) were on of the first to activate 2 ) which was the first to be activated

    3 ) were activated first 4 ) was one of the first activated


    ==================================================

    2- These speeches about equal opportunities raise all kinds of issues, but ...............

    1 ) about what success takes are two ideas opposing at their heart.

    2 ) what it lakes to succeed two opposing ideas are at their heart.

    3 ) at their heart are two opposing ideas about what it takes to succeed.

    4 ) about what success takes at their heart there are two opposing ideas.



    ==========================


    I will be appreciated if you explain for me that which of these choices are true and then give your reasons for your selections.

    Thanks.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,868
    #2

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia625 View Post
    Hello,

    I have two tests that are so hard (at least for me) and I can't understand them. ​I have the answer sheet of for them but the explanation for them is too short and it doesn't help me. I need a person someone to explain them for to me completely.

    ---------------------



    I will be appreciated appreciate it if you would explain for to me that which of these choices are true correct and then give your reasons for your selections.

    Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum.

    You said that you have the answer sheet for these tests. Please tell us what the answer sheet says is the correct answer for each question and give us the explanation which you say is too short. Then tell us why you don't understand the explanation or the correct answer and tell us which answer you would have chosen if you hadn't had the answer sheet. After that, we can try to help you understand them.

    See my corrections above, marked in red.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 123
    #3

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Hello Teacher,

    First, i appreciate your corrections. As you see above my writing is not good because i have nobody to communicate with him.

    -------------

    here is the answer sheet :


    the answer for question number 1 : choice ( 4 )

    Subject- verb agreement : The real subject of the sentence is " MUPUS ", which is singular, so options (1 ) and ( 3 ) are wrong. Option ( 2 ) is also wrong because we already have a relative clause in the sentence and what we need is a main verb.

    I selected number two. I think it is not wrong if we have two relative clauses in the sentence.



    The answer for question number 2 : choice ( 3 )

    Inversion : when an adverbial of place comes at the beginning of a sentence, the normal order of the sentence will be reversed.


    I didn't answer this question. In addition i also didn't know what was the Inversion ! after that, i read some articles about Inversion but they had used simple examples but this question is hard and sophisticated ( at least for me ).




    I want to say that my grammar is basically poor but I'm trying to improve it. In addition, These are some tests which have been come in MA exam.

    I have a lot of these tests. I dont know can i put them here and ask my questions about them or not. unfortunately I couldn't find anyone in real life to be able to solve these questions ( even my teachers ! )


    Thanks.

    Last edited by Rover_KE; 05-Jul-2015 at 11:26. Reason: Deleting unnecessary quote.

  2. Skrej's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2015
    • Posts: 2,397
    #4

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia625 View Post
    Hello Teacher,

    First, i appreciate your corrections. As you see above my writing is not good because i have nobody to communicate with him.

    -------------

    here is the answer sheet :


    the answer for question number 1 : choice ( 4 )

    Subject- verb agreement : The real subject of the sentence is " MUPUS ", which is singular, so options (1 ) and ( 3 ) are wrong. Option ( 2 ) is also wrong because we already have a relative clause in the sentence and what we need is a main verb.

    I selected number two. I think it is not wrong if we have two relative clauses in the sentence. It is a singular subject, requiring a singular verb, and only choice 4 offers a singular verb. Option #2 won't work because it doesn't begin with a verb. The number of clauses doesn't matter, but at some point you're going to need a main verb for the sentence. Choosing #2 still leaves the sentence without a main verb.



    The answer for question number 2 : choice ( 3 )

    Inversion : when an adverbial of place comes at the beginning of a sentence, the normal order of the sentence will be reversed.


    I didn't answer this question. In addition i also didn't know what was the Inversion ! after that, i read some articles about Inversion but they had used simple examples but this question is hard and sophisticated ( at least for me ).
    An adverbial of place in this example is 'at their heart' - a prepositional phrase being used as an adverb, because it modifies the verb 'are'. It tells us where - at what place (at their heart) - the ideas are. Inversion refers to flipping the normal subject-verb word order to verb-subject. Of the four choices, only #1 and #3 have inversion, but only #3 begins with an adverbial of location. #1 isn't an adverbial of place because 'about what success takes' doesn't tell us anything about the place/location of the verb. Therefore the inversion on #1 isn't grammatical, since you can only invert when the sentence begins with an adverbial of place.




    I want to say that my grammar is basically poor but I'm trying to improve it. In addition, These are some tests which have been come in MA exam.

    I have a lot of these tests. I dont know can i put them here and ask my questions about them or not. unfortunately I couldn't find anyone in real life to be able to solve these questions ( even my teachers ! )


    Thanks.


    My comments above in blue - hope this helps.

    If you choose to post more test questions, please do as emsr2d2 suggested - post the official answer, and your choice with the questions.

    Not only does it clarify that we're free to help if you have the answers (since we don't help with tests or homework), but it's also useful from a teacher's perspective to see your train of thought.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 123
    #5

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    First of all I thank you because of your answer. But still something about these tests are unclear for me. i hope that my questions don't get you tired.

    Next, i do follow emsr2d2's suggestion. i just asked my questions here because i wanted to understand my mistakes.

    Anyway as it has mentioned above i still have some questions. I know that my questions may be considered rudimentary ( or maybe absurd ) but please help me.


    It is a singular subject, requiring a singular verb, and only choice 4 offers a singular verb. Option #2 won't work because it doesn't begin with a verb. The number of clauses doesn't matter, but at some point you're going to need a main verb for the sentence. Choosing #2 still leaves the sentence without a main verb.
    Skrej, we know that # 1 and # 3 are wrong because they have "were" in their structures but the subject of our sentence is singular.

    so only 2 choices are left. ( #2 and #4 )

    u say that only #4 has main verb but I want to ask why #2 doesn't have main verb ?

    "was" is the AUX and "Active" is our main verb. both #2 and #4 have main verbs. don't have ?

    An adverbial of place in this example is 'at their heart' - a prepositional phrase being used as an adverb, because it modifies the verb 'are'. It tells us where - at what place (at their heart) - the ideas are. Inversion refers to flipping the normal subject-verb word order to verb-subject. Of the four choices, only #1 and #3 have inversion, but only #3 begins with an adverbial of location. #1 isn't an adverbial of place because 'about what success takes' doesn't tell us anything about the place/location of the verb. Therefore the inversion on #1 isn't grammatical, since you can only invert when the sentence begins with an adverbial of place.
    I finally understood why #3 is correct. but u say that among the choices just #1 and #3 have inversion. but why #1? i can't see any adverb at the beginning of this sentence but when i look at the #4 i see an Adverb. ( about what success takes at their heart ...... )

    And can you please explain when i should recognize ( for example in other questions ) that the question is about Inversion ?

    if i see an Adverb takes place at the beginning of the sentence ( among choices ) i should understand that the question is about Inversion ?

    Thanks indeed.

  3. Skrej's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2015
    • Posts: 2,397
    #6

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia625 View Post

    u You say that only #4 has a main verb but I want to ask why #2 doesn't have a main verb ?

    "was" is the AUX and "Active" is our main verb. both #2 and #4 have main verbs, don't have don't they?
    All of #2 is a single clause, beginning with 'which' and ending with 'activated'. The verbs present in #2 (was and activated) are all part of that clause, so they can't function as the main verb of the sentence. All the words in the clause "which was the first to be activated" are just pieces of one single clause that can't be broken up. You can think of the clause as one single unit.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lumia625 View Post
    I finally understood why #3 is correct. But u you say that among the choices just #1 and #3 have inversion. but why #1? i can't see any adverb at the beginning of this sentence but when i look at the #4 i see an Adverb. ( about what success takes at their heart ...... )

    And can you please explain when I should recognize ( for example in other questions ) that the question is about Inversion ?

    if i see an Adverb takes place at the beginning of the sentence ( among choices ) i should understand that the question is about Inversion ?

    Thanks indeed.
    No. First, you need to understand the difference between an adverb, and an adverbial clause. An adverb is a single word, and adverbial clause is a dependent clause which functions like an single adverb.

    Normal word order in English is Subject - Verb- Object. One time you can change that is when the sentence begins with an adverbial of place. It can't be any adverb, and it can't be just any adverbial phrase. It has to be an adverbial of place. It also has to begin the sentence. Finally, if the subject is a pronoun, you can't have inversion.

    For example:
    Susan stood on the porch. (OK -regular S-V word order)
    On the porch stood Susan. (Ok -inverted S-V word order because it's beginning with an adverbial of place)
    On the porch stood she. (Wrong - because subject is a pronoun. Inversion not allowed)

    So, you can recognize inversion by simply recognizing when a sentence has the verb coming before the subject.


    Choice #1 does have inversion, but you are correct in that #1 doesn't begin with an adverbial of place. It's just a prepositional phrase. That's why it's incorrect for #1 it to have inversion - it's ungrammatical.

    Sometimes, you'll see inversion done with an auxiliary verb in a yes/no question. Note that only the auxiliary or linking verb is inverted.
    "Are you hungry?"
    "Do you have a job?"
    "Have you finished your homework?"

    I wouldn't worry too much about inversion. Aside from yes/no questions, inversion is rarely used in English.


    Finally - please note some of the other corrections I've made in red to your post. "u" is not a word in English. The pronoun "I" is always capitalized.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 123
    #7

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Hello Forum,

    Again I have come here to ask another test that I couldn't solve it.



    Rising above the endless plains of Saskatchewan, Canada's Boundary Dam power plant looks like any other : giant boxes ............ and a mess of pipes and power lines.

    1 ) are stripped with tall red and white chimneys.

    2 ) tall red- and white-striped chimneys.

    3 ) with chimneys so stripped to be as tall, red and white.

    4 ) stripped with chimneys being tall, red and white.


    The explanation of answer sheet : choice ( 2 )

    parallel construction : A list of noun phrases.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    I selected # 1. Actually i don't know why I selected it but other choices were seem somehow odds to me especially # 3 and #4.

    I also had problem in translating this sentence ! I couldn't understand the meaning of the test !

    I didn't know what was the Parallel construction but when i searched about it I understood that I unconsciously use it in my sentences.

    For example I always say :

    I like swimming, reading and sleeping ! // I didn't know that it was related to Parallel construction but I use it spontaneously.

    But I still couldn't get it why the number 2 is correct ! maybe it seems funny but can you please explain it again to me ?

    P.S. Is it possible to translate the sentence in simple English.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Lumia625; 13-Jul-2015 at 17:54.

  4. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,697
    #8

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Hi, Lumia.

    Are you really sure it's "stripped"?
    Could you check the test question, please?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 123
    #9

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Quote Originally Posted by tzfujimino View Post
    Hi, Lumia.

    Are you really sure it's "stripped"?
    Could you check the test question, please?
    Hello

    The amazing thing is that just number 2 have got " striped " and other choices have " stripped "

  5. tzfujimino's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 2,697
    #10

    Re: Please help me on these tests

    Hmm...
    #1, #3 and #4 don't make sense to this non-native speaker of English.

    What about all those periods/full stops in all of the four choices? Are you sure about them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2013, 15:30
  2. Decide if the following tests meet the criteria for good tests
    By vistaforever in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2009, 13:00
  3. tests
    By happys82 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2008, 11:06
  4. about tests
    By arij98 in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2008, 09:19
  5. tests
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Jul-2003, 23:43

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •