Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I stumbled across a writing game called Mad lib. It is where you put a word in a sentence and put a sentence in a paragraph. I have often complained that I never seem to know what word I could use in the next word or sentence. Can anyone show me a game free of course I could use to better myself with writing?

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the versions of Mad Lib I've seen, you end up with at best whimsical and at worst nonsensical, albeit grammatical sentences. You're told to blindly plug in certain types of words (a color adjective, an animal name, a verb) before you get to read the sentence. Hence the 'mad' part, because you end up with crazy sentences.

When I was younger, I spent several summers as a camp counselor, and my particular camp required all campers to write their parents a certain number of letters over the course of the summer. Many of my campers had some of these Mad Lib style books they used to write "letters" home. The books even came with perforated pages to tear out. It was the height of laziness, but they'd send home these absolutely non-nonsensical letters about seeing 'greasy polka-doted flamingos farting sadly on upside down peanuts', or similar literary products, all of which sounded like bad acid trips. I'll admit I was guilty of helping them by supplying some of the most esoteric words I could think from time to time, but I guess my point is that I don't see much validity in using them as a learning tool, aside from possibly testing one's vocabulary and familiarity with parts of speech.

I did a quick Google search for 'online writing games' and got a lot of hits. I didn't try any of them, and many of them seemed to be geared towards young children, but you could spend some time checking them out yourself, and see if you find any that are helpful for you. Also check out some of the suggested search alternatives at the bottom of the page.

Status
Not open for further replies.