• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Why is 'to' needed in this sentence?

Five-member girl group Crayon Pop is seeing the music video to latest single "Bar Bar Bar" going wide in native South Korea with a No. 2 ranking on the Billboard Korea K-Pop Hot 100.

In the middle of the sentence, "Crayon Pop is seeing the music video 'to' latest single "Bar Bar Bar" going wide in native South Korea~~~"
    you can see "seeing music video to lasted single? "
    I don't know how 'to' works in this sentence.
    Is this a correct sentence? If so, what does this mean and how 'to' works gramatically in the sentence?
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 07-Jul-2015 at 13:39. Reason: Removed unnecessary hyperlink

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: Why is 'to' needed in this sentence?

Hi vestcil,

To me this sentence doesn't work. I will let one of the Teachers explain technically why it doesn't, but here's my input for now.

You often hear this combination of words in relation to pop music. Although not incorrect in this context, I think a better understanding of "to" might have been achieved if the writer had also used the word "their":

"Five-member girl group Crayon Pop is seeing the music video to their latest single "Bar Bar Bar....."". As you probably know, originally, only songs were produced in the era before pop videos. Later, videos were produced and released by pop groups to compliment and promote their songs. So you will sometimes see the similar combination, "The video to Crayon Pop's latest song....", where the writer leaves out the word "music", because that is inferred by the fact that the video goes with the song.

So to me, the use of the word "to" in this form helps indicate that one thing is a compliment to another:
    For example. "The guidebook to Walking in the Himalayas". The book would compliment your experience of walking in the mountains as it may contain useful maps, travel and safety advice.

My real problem with this sentence is the use of the word "going". I think "go" works and "going" does not. I would change it as follows:
    "Five-member girl group Crayon Pop is seeing the music video to their latest single "Bar Bar Bar" go wide in native South Korea with a No. 2 ranking on the Billboard Korea K-Pop Hot 100."

Even then using "go" makes it sound very casual, and the lack of punctuation doesn't help, but then that often goes with writing about pop music.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 07-Jul-2015 at 13:39. Reason: Removed unnecessary hyperlink (as in post #1)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

We use both "the video for + name of song" and "the video to + name of song". (BrE)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by Eckaslike View Post
    My real problem with this sentence is the use of the word "going". I think "go" works and "going" does not.
    You're right Eckaslike because "is seeing" is the main verb in that sentence, and "go" is a bare infinitive.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I'm not entirely sure whether "the video of + song name" works for native speakers.
    I assume it's understandable.
    Please, correct all my mistakes. I should know English perfectly and if you show me my mistakes I will achieve my dream a little bit faster. A lot of thanks.

Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Hi Boris,

To me, it doesn't work in BrE. I would understand what was meant, but wouldn't use it at all in that context. For videos to songs I would use what emsr2d2 has written.

The construction you are using for me only works where the video is derived from something else. It could be a video of a film, book or play.

So, "Have you seen the videos of Lord of the Rings?" (books and films), or "Do you have the video of Kenneth Branagh's film Henry V?" (play and film).

In everyday use these both would probably drop the "of" and be shortened to "Have you seen the Lord of the Rings videos?" and "Do you have Kenneth Branagh's video of Henry V?". The last of these would assume that the person you were asking didn't know another Kenneth Branagh in ordinary life otherwise it could get confusing!

Does that help at all?