• Native Language:
      • Punjabi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Grammar and Sentence Structure

This is Rahul, I am looking for guidance related to following two sentences in terms of grammar structure

1) He stands by the main entry gate of building.

[[Should it stands at/stands outside or is stands by right?]]

2) He brushes his lips against each other.

[[ is this sentence correct , i want to convey that the person is thirsty visually]]

Looking forward for an expert guidance.

Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grammar and Sentence Structure

Hi rahul11,

Welcome to the forum!

Personally I feel, for sentence one you could use any of the variations you suggest. However, the mental picture they conjure up are:

a) "He stands by the main entry gate of a building." = (He is very near and maybe next to the gate. But, it does not tell you whether he is inside the gate or outside it.)

b) "He stands at the main entry gate of a building. = (He is right next to the gate. But again it doesn't tell you whether he is inside or outside it.)

c) "He stands outside the main entry gate of a building." = (He is outside the gate, but it doesn't tell you exactly how close he is to it.)

You can make combinations of these elements, by/ at / outside (and other similar words), within one one sentence to say exactly where he was.

Do you need something like?:

"He stands outside a building, at the main entry gate." (This specifically tells you that he is not only outside the gate, but that he is also standing right next to it).

For the second sentence, to me, "He licks his lips from thirst.", would work.

I have never heard, or would use, "He brushes his lips against each other.". That sounds, to me, like a literal translation perhaps from your own first language? At first when I read, "He brushes", the image conveyed made me think that somehow a brush, or broom, was involved! I then read "his lips together", and my mental image was then shattered, as I couldn't understand how a brush and lips could be combined together. That is how, as a native reader of English, I would interpret it at first glance. It certainly didn't remind me of thirst.

Does that help at all?
    Last edited by Eckaslike; 10-Jul-2015 at 07:10. Reason: To correct typos.
    (BrE first language speaker.)