• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Tense in medical referal letter

Is the following since is correct for a medical referral letter?please answer with explanation.
    Thanks in advance.

1. Mrs Jones also added that she has recentlly increased her coffee consumption and she takes aspirin 2-4 times in a month.

2. She has a family history of depression and she has past history of post natal depression.(how can correctly add this two sentence)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Tense in medical referal letter

Quote Originally Posted by Shahriar76 View Post
    Is the following since sentence is correct for a medical referral letter? Please answer with an explanation.
    Thanks in advance.

1. Mrs Jones also added that she has recentlly increased her coffee consumption, and she takes (an?) aspirin 2-4 times in a month.
    There is only one 'l' in 'recently'. The sentence could be complete, depending upon how many aspirin she takes. If you want to say she takes a single aspirin 2-4 times a month, you need to add the article 'an'.

If it's not important how many, then you could eliminate the article, and just say 'aspirin'. I'm not a doctor, but it seems important to me that for a thorough medical history, you'd want to specify how many aspirin she takes, as well as how frequently. Either way, you don't need the word 'in'.

2. She has a family history of depression and she has past history of post natal depression.(how can correctly add this two sentence)
    I'm not sure what you mean by "add this two sentence." Do you mean combine them into one sentence? If so, you should say "How can I correctly combine these two sentences? "

If you're asking how to combine them into one sentence, then I would say "She has a family history of depression, as well as a personal past history of postnatal depression." You will also see the term 'postpartum depression' used in place of 'postnatal'.
    Last edited by Skrej; 12-Jul-2015 at 18:11. Reason: typo