Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Can someone please check my grammar: Shirayuki, a girl with red hair runs away from her country after being proposed and chased by the prince of her country, only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighboring country.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Shirayuki, a girl with red hair, runs away from her country after being chased and proposed to by the prince of her country...'

Not a teacher.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
As far as I know, in the meaning of 'make an offer of marriage to someone', the verb propose does take the preposition 'to' but it is usually intransitive, apart from the case where it is marriage that is being proposed to somebody.
So, to simplify things a bit, I would write "...after a proposal of marriage from the prince of her country..."

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Saying "after being proposed to" is perfectly natural (BrE).

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would write "...after a proposal of marriage from the prince of her country..."
I think you have omitted the meaning of being chased, but I am not a teacher.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, yes. I have indeed. What about "...after so many turned down proposals of marriage from the prince of her country, who seems to be getting extremely displeased with her continuing refusals..."?

It seems to convey the idea of pursuit or chase very well, doesn't it?

Not a teacher.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your suggested phrase is so long, so I suggest that the whole sentence be separated into two, but I am not a teacher.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, it is long - that's true. Your suggestion is perfectly valid; no doubt, that way it would be far more easier to understand.

However, with the punctuation being slightly changed, the length of the whole thing doesn't appear [to me] to hinder the comprehension of it any significantly:

Shirayuki, a girl with red hair, runs away from her country after so many turned down proposals of marriage from the prince of her country (who seems to be getting extremely displeased with her continuing refusals), only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighboring country.

P.S. Still, I agree that the capability of ing-forms to reduce the overall amount of writing is hard to underestimate. ;-)

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
ok, slightly I can understand the terms here. Still I'm not sure how I should proceed. Which is the correct one here?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'Shirayuki, a girl with red hair, runs away from her country after being chased and proposed to repeatedly by the prince of her country (who seems to be getting extremely displeased with her continuing refusals), only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighboring country.'

I think the text in red is optional, so it is up to the OP to decide.

... after so many turned down proposals of marriage from...
I would say '... after turning down so many marriage proposals from...', because Shirayuki, the subject of the sentence, is the one who did the 'turning down'.

Not a teacher.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
ok, slightly I can understand the terms here. Still I'm not sure how I should proceed. Which is the correct one here?

I would say it is just a matter of style and personal preferences rather than that of correctness. To me, they all look correct, though I deem it advisible to wait for opinions of those who are English teachers or/and native speakers of English if you still have any doubts about it.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
'Shirayuki, a girl with red hair, runs away from her country after being chased and proposed to repeatedly by the prince of her country (who seems to be getting extremely displeased with her continuing refusals), only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighboring country.'

I think the text in red is optional, so it is up to the OP to decide.

I would say '... after turning down so many marriage proposals from...', because Shirayuki, the subject of the sentence, is the one who did the 'turning down'.

Not a teacher.

Good point, Matthew. :up: I agree.

Yet, even in my original phrasing, the optional text in red would surely make it clear who is repeatedly proposed to, in case it cannot be infered immediately from the context.

There is always room for perfection, I understand that; but let us not debate over this any longer, for it may only confuse the OP even more.

Not a teacher.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
so many turned down proposals
One more thing, I think the above 'turned down' should have been hyphenated as it is used as an adjective, but I am not a teacher.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Thank you so much for all the explanation. I would prefer as this: Shirayuki, a girl with red hair, runs away from her country after turning down so many marriage proposals from the prince of her country, only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighboring country.

This sounds good to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I see no need for "so many marriage proposals". The use of "so many" suggests that we are going to see another clause beginning with "that" and giving some result of the number of proposals. How about:

Shirayuki, a red-haired girl, flees her country after turning down many proposals of marriage from her country's prince, only to meet Zen, the prince of a neighbouring country.

Note that you can also say "a redhead" instead of "red-haired girl" but that loses the explanation that she is female.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
... but that loses the explanation that she is female.
I think 'her country' can tell the gender, but I am not a teacher.

The use of "so many" suggests that we are going to see another clause beginning with "that" and giving some result of the number of proposals.
'So many' can also suggest that acts of multiple proposals were described previously.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think 'her country' can tell the gender, but I am not a teacher.

That's true.

'So many' can also suggest that acts of multiple proposals were described previously.

That's also true but we don't know if the multiple proposals have been mentioned before this sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.