Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Participles Adjective and Verb in a Sentence.

hi there,

I want to create sentences in two different contexts.
    1. In the first sentence, "explaining" should be a participles adjective. Here the boy is explaining the math question and the teacher is standing next to him.
    2. In the second sentence, explaining should be a verb. The teacher is standing next to the boy who is smiling and explaining him the math question.

1. The teacher is standing next to the boy explaining a math question. (the boy who is explaining math question)

2. The teacher is standing next to the boy smiling explaining him a math question.

Are these sentences grammatically correct ? if not , please explain me why they are not.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Participles Adjective and Verb in a Sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by EJaguar View Post

Are these sentences grammatically correct ?
    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, EJaguar:

I am not answering that question.

I only wanted to share some thoughts with you.

I believe that it is accurate to say that a "good" sentence is one that a reader understands the first time s/he reads it.

In my opinion, a reader would have to read your two sentences three or four times, and s/he STILL might not understand what you were trying to say.

If I were writing those sentences, I would phrase them something like this.

1. "The teacher is standing next to the boy who is explaining the math question."

a. Yes, I DO understand that you want "explaining" to be a participle that modifies "the boy," such as: "The boy explaining the math question is my best friend." But since you want to add that "the teacher is standing next to him," I do not know how you can write such a sentence. I guess that you could write this awkward (not natural-sounding sentence): "The boy explaining the math question has his teacher standing next to him."

2. "Explaining a math question to him, the teacher is standing next to the smiling boy."

a. Yes, I DO understand that you wanted "explaining" to be part of a verb phrase, not a participle modifying "the teacher." But I do not know that can be done and still keep the meaning that you wish to give. I guess that it could be something like this: The teacher, who is explaining a math question to the smiling boy, is standing next to him."

b. I cannot think of a natural-sounding sentence with "the boy smiling." We can certainly say, "The boy who is smiling is my cousin," but "The boy smiling is my cousin" does not work for me. Of course, I cannot speak for others. But it WOULD work for me if some other words followed: "The boy smiling at the pretty girls is my cousin, Tony."