1. B45

Is this grammatically correct: How important is a government to its country? It's t

Is this grammatically correct:

How important is a government to its country? It's the foundation of the country's society thus making it a critical component to the country's civilization.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: Is this grammatically correct: How important is a government to its country? It

I will let others comment on grammar, however, as a speaker and reader of BrE for some reason starting the second sentence with, "It's" rather than, "It is", seems to jar with me when I read, or say it. It may of course be fine in AmE usage.

I think it is because you are so emphatic in your second sentence, that a government is vital to a country's civilization that, to me, it needs to start with the more emphatic "It is....":

"How important is a government to its country? It is the foundation of the country's society.......", to me using "It's" lessens the emphasis and so lessens the delivery of your point of view". (i.e. you put forward a strong argument using a weaker delivery, which to me sounds and feels odd).

A subtle difference I know, but to this BrE it makes a big difference when reading, or saying it.

This is my personal view, others may, no doubt, have other views, and as I've said it may be perfectly fine in AmE.
    Last edited by Eckaslike; 12-Jul-2015 at 01:15.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Is this grammatically correct: How important is a government to its country? It

I understand your point, but the contraction doesn't bother this AmE speaker.