• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The love of writing.

I love words. I am sometimes mystified about what the next word is going to be in my first draft. I am not perfect and that word haunts me. I want this forum to be my friend with faults and all. I believe in orderly form writing but with millions of voices which voice is orderly? I am drawn to free writing to a point, that point being the order the writer uses. Can I push the order envelope to step outside the order form and use ones own voice? I see two sentence, when writing one sentence, the subject and the predicate.

What irritates me is using the subject then the predicate, both words describe meaning. It's like using meaning twice in the same sentence. I sense you only need one meaning for the subject or the predicate. Edit please

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

John's dog is yellow

Just to show you how slow I am to grasp other peoples understanding, I finally figure out the subject and predicate when being used. Johns dog is yellow. There is the subject called Johns dog and the predicate is yellow? So there is two meanings in that sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Enlightment.

Actually, the predicate consists of the verb 'is' as well as the adjective 'yellow'. More specifically, 'yellow' is referred to as a predicate adjective.

But yes, you've basically got the gist of it. Anything which isn't part of the subject is the predicate.

Since 'John's' is a possessive adjective modifying the subject 'dog', it is, as you said, still part of the subject.

I'm not sure how you see it as two meanings, however. There's only one meaning -namely that John has a yellow dog.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The love of writing.

Paul, I'm not sure what you mean by two meanings. The predicate is simply giving you additional information or details about the subject. What the subject is doing, how it's doing it, etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Enlightment.

Paul, you keep naming your threads "enlightenment". That will make it impossible to search the threads. Please give them unique titles, using words from your actual question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: John's dog is yellow

As Mike said, you need to give your posts more individual titles so they can be easily found. I have changed the title of this one for you.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I have merged these two threads as they both deal with your query about whether a predicate has two meanings.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I think 'subject and predicate' would have been a better title for this thread instead of 'the love of writing'.
    I am not a teacher.