Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why should the editor change the first draft words and or the last draft words when editing? What makes the editor use there words over the writers? Like being politically correct? What makes these corrections so special against the first draft and last draft? Spelling is my first enemy and finding the correct words to use in a sentence is my second. I just figured out why the subject is the subject and the predicate is the second. Edit please.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Paul, I don't understand your question. Editors edit. That's what they do.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why should the editor change the first draft words and/or the last draft words when editing? What makes the editor use [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] their words over the writer's? [STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] Are they being politically correct? What makes these corrections so special against the first draft and last draft? Spelling is my [STRIKE]first[/STRIKE] main enemy and finding the correct words to use in a sentence is my second. I just figured out why the subject is the subject and the predicate is the second (I don't know what you mean by the underlined part). Edit please.

As Mike said, that is an editor's job. They are employed specifically because they have a better grasp of how words work and go well together than many writers. Their job is to keep the writer's original intended meaning but to tidy up the writing and make the finished product more sellable. All writers, if they are to be successful, need to understand that they will, at some point, have to hand over control of their writing to a proofreader and an editor, and accept that the result will almost certainly be an improvement on their drafts.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They may also be applying rules from their style guide that the writer is not aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.