• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Naming parts of a phrase

Dear all, could you please help me with this one?
    I have the following phrase on a text I am writing.
    "Sujan et al. (1988) found that although higher performers had no more customer categories than did lower performers they had more descriptors for each customer category and for each selling strategy than did lower performers".

Then, associated with this excerpt I have the following footnote: "Across this manuscript there are several comparative clauses similar to this one. Whenever possible, the second term of the clause is omitted, leaving implied that the comparison of the values of the dependent variable is being made against those in the opposite level (e.g. high- vs. low-nClos, natives vs. non-natives) of the targeted independent variable."

Could you please let me know if the names I attributed to each part of the phrase (in red) are correct?

Many thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Naming parts of a phrase

"Sujan et al. (1988) found that although higher performers had no more customer categories than did lower performers they had more descriptors for each customer category and for each selling strategy than did lower performers".

That sounds perfectly natural to me.

Then, associated with this excerpt I have the following footnote: "Across this manuscript there are several comparative clauses similar to this one. Whenever possible, the second term of the clause is omitted, leaving implied that the comparison of the values of the dependent variable is being made against those in the opposite level (e.g. high- vs. low-nClos, natives vs. non-natives) of the targeted independent variable."

Could you please let me know if the names I attributed to each part of the phrase (in red) are correct?

With the best will in the world, I cannot understand from that language what you have been leaving out and why. Maybe an example or two would help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: Naming parts of a phrase

Dear Probus, many thanks for your attention!

What I was trying to say in my footnote was that in the subsequent sections of my text, rather than saying...
    "Sujan et al. (1988) found that although higher performers had no more customer categories than did lower performers they had more descriptors for each customer category and for each selling strategy than did lower performers"...

...I would simply say...

"Sujan et al. (1988) found that although higher performers had no more customer categories they had more descriptors for each customer category and for each selling strategy".

Notice that in the second phrase I omitted "
    than did lower performers" twice assuming (hoping, actually) that my readers will understand I am comparing high to low performers.

However, in the footnote I tried to put this in grammatical terms (e.g. "
    comparative clauses", "the second term of the clause") which are plain translations from Portuguese to English and about which I am uncertain.