What's the difference between plant and factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokaec1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
In AmE, what's the difference between plant and factory? One of definitions of the word "plant" was "a factory or place where power is produced or an industrial process takes place". For example, a candy "plant" or "factory", which one is more common and appropriate in AmE?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There isn't any difference - the two terms are synonymous, and you'll hear both used frequently.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but there are some common uses. A power plant is never a power factory. I would not ask if there were any "plants" in the area. I would ask about factories.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In would depend on the region. People are always asking about plants here, because there are hundreds if not thousands of gas plants, plus a dozen or so packing plants for beef, swine and poultry.

Little factory production however, so you'd rarely hear anybody ask about factories in this region.

Edit: Which is why between gas wells, feedlots, and slaughterhouses it always smells like #$@% around here. Sometimes it's hard to judge the subtle shades of fecal brown which taint the air. Plus the country trash dump is on the edge of town next to the beef plant AND the sewage treatment facility.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where are you, Skrej? It sounds like a locality to avoid on my next visit to the USA.:shock:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tell me about it :roll:, I've been trying to avoid my little corner of the High Plains in The Great American Desert my entire life. Someday I'll make it out of here to someplace that has trees and water.

I just know I will, I still have time. Unless I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.