• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Types of Errors

I was given ten sentences to correct. I have corrected most of them, but I don't understand what to write under the 'type of error' column.
    Is there a list for types of errors? If there is, can someone tell me where I can learn about it? (All the sentences have correct punctuation and spelling and some of them are even grammatically correct.)

One example: They are having a new car. Correction: They have a new car.
    Explanation: Simple present should be used to denote possession.
    What is the type of error?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Types of Errors

You need to make your own list, or use the 'types' your teacher has given you. There is no formal list of "types of error". You've identified three possible types - punctuation, spelling, and grammar. The example you've given is grammatical (given the three types you've identified). It could also be called a "usage error", a "verb error", a "tense error" ...
    If a sentence is wrong, and it has correct grammar, spelling and punctuation, you'll have to decide why it is wrong and give a name to it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You need to make your own list, or use the 'types' your teacher has given you. There is no formal list of "types of error". You've identified three possible types - punctuation, spelling, and grammar. The example you've given is grammatical (given the three types you've identified). It could also be called a "usage error", a "verb error", a "tense error" ...
    If a sentence is wrong, and it has correct grammar, spelling and punctuation, you'll have to decide why it is wrong and give a name to it.
    I started reading a lot about grammar to answer the questions and I ended up writing: 'Incorrect question tag', 'Incorrect use of the third conditional' etc.
    For the sentence 'If you would have studied hard, you would have passed the exam.', I wrote 'If you had studied harder, you would have passed the exam'.
    This is the third conditional, 'would have' should become 'had' and 'hard' should be 'harder'. However, I would write 'harder' even if it was in the second conditional, the only way it would still be 'hard' is if it was in the first 'If you study hard, you can pass the exam'. I notice that this also occurs with the word 'early', so should I mention changing the word from hard to harder as a separate error or is it a part of the conditional error?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

'Hard' also works. Perhaps it's not as good as 'harder'. But I wouldn't call that an error, given that you've identified the obvious error.