English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

A school requested for a grammar lesson based on intermediate level, but I'll only know the topic on the day of my teaching demonstration. I have little teaching experience and am clueless about preparing for this lesson.

Is this normal practice?

There will only be one learner who is the interviewer; really demotivates me.

Any advice please? Thanks.

Kumori

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Get hold of their intermediate syllabus and make sure you are familiar with all the major grammar points.

J

J&K Tutoring

This is an unreasonable expectation and a ridiculous request. You state that you will find out your topic on the day. Does that mean you'll walk into the classroom and be handed an envelope or will you have at least a little time to prepare?

No good teacher ever goes into class unprepared. You know that. Perhaps they know it too and just want to see if you get 'rattled'.

Know your stuff as Tdol suggested and do your best. If you don't get the job, chalk it up to practice for another, better job in a place where they don't play these silly games. Good Luck!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You said you will find out the topic "on the day of the demonstration". If you find it out in the morning and the demonstration is in the afternoon (or at least a couple of hours later), I don't think it's that unreasonable. They are trying to test you. That's the point. I agree that no teacher should go into a classroom unprepared but things happen. You might, one day, find yourself in a situation where another teacher is ill and you are asked, at very short notice, to take their class for them. You might only have five minutes' notice of this and you would probably simply be told "Mr XXX's class today is about the subjunctive and the future perfect continuous. That's what the students are expecting and that's what you're going to teach them".

If you're only going to find out the topic when you walk in the room to do your demonstration, then it's unreasonable.

Ulde

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
It's really strange as one-to-one learning is totally different than working with a group. You can't use the same methods, so you really can't demonstrate your teaching style...

Status
Not open for further replies.