• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Looking for some tips

Hi there! My name is Mat and I'm a graphic designer. I've been in the US for the past 4 years now. My native language is spanish. I'm reaching out to you to get some advice. I recently got a job at a really good company and I'm having a really hard time to adapt and to understand some of the technical vocabulary. Are there any books worth reading to get better with my technical vocabulary? Sometimes I find myself struggling to explain something and I feel dumb for not being able to. It would be great to get any advice/book-titles to get better in my communication skills as well. Especially technical vocabulary (for graphic design). Maybe someone was in the same position as I am in the past, when started working and found a way to get better, or a book that really helped. Your advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Looking for some tips

A useful and easy way to start would be to read magazines in that area- articles, which are shorter than entire books, are often a good introduction to reading. Make lists of the technical terms that you're unsure of and read up on them, then go back and check you've got the term fixed in your memory. Practise explaining them aloud to yourself, even record it and play it back and see how well you've done. Get a basic text like of the guides for Dummies and read that as a simple starter in English. Have you got a technical dictionary on the subject? If not, get one.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by buddylove82 View Post
    Hi there! My name is Mat and I'm a graphic designer. I've been in the US for the past 4 years now. My native language is Spanish. I'm reaching out to you to get some advice. I recently got a job at a really good company and I'm having a really hard time to adapting and to understanding some of the technical vocabulary. Are there any books worth reading to get better with improve my technical vocabulary? Sometimes I find myself struggling to explain something and I feel dumb for not being able to. It would be great to get any advice/book-titles to get better in improve my communication skills as well, especially with technical vocabulary (for graphic design). Maybe someone was in the same position in the past as I am now in the past, when they started working and found a way to get better improve, or a book that really helped. Your advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Welcome to the forum.

I know you posted for advice about a specific book and not to ask, like most of our learners, for help with your English. However, it's clear that your English is of a very high standard which is great after four years in the US. On that basis, I thought you would like to see my minor corrections to your post. They are marked above in red. Let me know if you don't understand why I made those corrections.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

A Google search for "graphic design vocabulary" beings up dozens of sites that should be of help to you.
    You could also try amazon.com and get books like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Language-Graph...ign+vocabulary