[Grammar] I explain based on a picture .Please everyone can check in following sentence.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lê Thiên Hoàng

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
attachment.php

In the room, there are four person. They are in front of television and they are watching football on television, three of them are holding a beer bottles.
I explain it based on a picture .Please everyone can check in below sentence.

Attachments

• bai181.jpg
    bai181.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'In the room, there are four people watching a football game on television. Three of them are holding a bottle of beer in their hands.'

Not a teacher.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I do understand that international students come here in order to learn current English.

So I do understand that almost all native speakers in 2015 would refer to "the four people."

But I feel that advanced students should know the following, as explained in The Columbia Guide to Standard American English (1993):

"oth seven people and seven persons are Standard, with people getting a good deal more use than persons. Any difference is stylistic [my emphasis]; to some people, persons may seem a bit more formal."

Although I definitely would use "four persons" (probably because of my age), I am NOT suggesting that advanced students follow my example.

I just wanted them to know that if they hear or read "four persons," they should NOT think that the speaker or writer has made a "mistake."

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I concur with Piscean's comments,with the addendum that they carry over into modern AmE as well.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Three of them are holding a bottle of beer each in their hands.

"In their hands" could be omitted.

I [STRIKE]explain[/STRIKE] describe it based on a picture.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Persons" seems to be losing ground. It will sound dated to many.

Ngram

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only places I see "persons" are in legal documents and (inexplicably) on the sign inside lifts relating to the maximum number of people it is designed to hold. They still say "Max: 6 persons".

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
The only places I see "persons" are in legal documents and (inexplicably) on the sign inside lifts relating to the maximum number of people it is designed to hold. They still say "Max: 6 persons".

It's possibly to do with the legal implications of exceeding the maximum number of people the lift is designed to carry?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's more to do with exceeding the maximum weight of the people in the lift, which is always stated, though nobody ever has any idea of how close to the limit the total weight of the passengers is, nor have they the nerve to ask the others how heavy they are, and even if they knew that, they'd have to covert it from kilograms to pounds or vice versa.

Each trip would take for ever.

I'm sure elevator manufacturers build in safety features to allow for accidental overloading. I've observed that the space available is never big enough to accommodate the maximum number of people stated on the notice.

The weight limit is for the guidance of those who want to take weighty goods, equipment or machinery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.