How do you pronounce "est" in superlative adjective and "less" in adj?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
How do you pronounce "est" in superlative adjective and "less" in adj?

Can anyone show me how to pronounce "est" when we form a superlative adjective and "less" in adjective like careless or homeless?
According to this website http://goo.gl/M2SsVH you pronounce "est" as "ɛst", but sometimes I hear native speakers pronounce it as "ist". Similarly, most adjective ending with "less" is pronounced "[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] as "l[/FONT]əs" according to dictionaries like Oxford or Cambridge. But I still sometimes hear native speakers pronounce it as "lis'. I don't know if I was right or it was just my feelings.

So can anyone tell me if the pronounciation of these 2 things above is unchanged in any circumstances or it follows a certain rules. Thanks for answering me :)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: How do you pronounce "est" in superlative adjective and "less" in adj?

You will often hear variations in pronunciations from not only country to country, but even regions within the same country, even from native speakers. This is true of any language. That's why native speakers can often pinpoint where other speakers are from, based on those differences.

You list Vietnamese as your native language - can't you often tell if another native Vietnamese speaker is from a particular part of Vietnam based on their pronunciation or vocabulary? That's the same thing happening here in your post with English.

You could use whichever pronunciation of 'est' and 'less' you like. Neither one is "more correct" or better. My suggestion would be to adopt the pronunciation most widely used in the area you plan to live or work.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: How do you pronounce "est" in superlative adjective and "less" in adj?

In my variant of BrE (south coast), "careless" sounds like "care-liss". However, my friends from the Midlands and the north of England would say it slightly differently, more like "kerr-luhss".

Status
Not open for further replies.