1. In spite of a sprained ankle, John won the race. (Prepositional phrase)Originally Posted by raelynn
2. My work finished, I went home. (Absolute phrase)
==> absolutes begin with a noun or a pronoun (i.e. my).
3. Is that too much to ask you? (Infinitive phrase)
==> That is too much to ask you.
4. Searching diligently, he soon found the lost coin. (Gerund phrase)
5. Accepting Jesus Christ changed his life completely. (Gerund phrase)
==> Gerund phrases begin with "-ing" words; Infinitive phrases begin with the word "to".
6. Where did you come from?
==> You came from where? (Prepositional phrase)