• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

churning up

I lost my job at Beaver College..I wound't expect a man in 1930 to think like a man in 1968. Would you?...I'll be an idealist. I'll be a romanticist. .. You've got to be what you are, churning up the day in which you live and pull out of that experience something that is representative in artistic terms...

What does this "churning up" mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: churning up

not a teacher

I think this is using the idea of churning, meaning to stir up and agitate, to convey a sense of the artist vigorously exploring and processing the time in which he or she lives.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you churn fresh milk long enough, you end up with butter. He's using a metaphor for churning butter to suggest you need to churn life each day to get results.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I lost my job at Beaver College..I wound't expect a man in 1930 to think like a man in 1968. Would you?...I'll be an idealist. I'll be a romanticist. .. You've got to be what you are, churning up the day in which you live and pull out of that experience something that is representative in artistic terms...

What does "representative" mean in arts? This should be answered by someone who knows arts well. Does it mean "structural"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

not a teacher

I suspect that the rest of the quote following "artistic terms…" may be helpful here.
    In an art context, "representation" often refers to the depiction of the physical appearance of things in a way that is clearly recognisable, rather than abstract.

However, I feel that in this example the artist means that he is trying to find subject matter that, in a more symbolic sense, represents the nature of the times in which he lives.
    See definition #3 here: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...representative