• Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out what sentences pattern these sentences are. I think that pattern is subject+verb+direct object but after that is it simply a direct object and complement or adverbial?

I would like you to join the team.
    You donít want her to come, do you?
    She asked me to help.
    He told them to be early.
    We need him to win.
    You called her to invite her to the party.
    They require us to work this weekend.

I found this on the Internet:-

"The woman told him to leave" (S-V-DO-Comp), but everything I can find tell me that a complement is an adjective, noun or pronoun but isn't "to leave" an infiniive?

I'm confused! Any help is appreciated a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: S+V+DO+?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Anne:

"The woman told him to leave."

There seem to be at least two accepted analyses.

1. "The woman" is the subject; "told" is the verb; "him" is the object; "to leave" is, indeed, an infinitive. Some books tell us that "to leave" is an objective complement. That is to say, it completes the meaning of the object. In other words, the sentence means something like: "The woman told him (that) he should / had to leave."

2. "The woman" is the subject; "told" is the verb; "him to leave" is the object. Some books call "him to leave" an infinitive phrase. The subject of the infinitive is, as you can see, the word "him."

I will not comment on which analysis that I prefer. After you read all of the comments from other members, then you can make up your own mind.

P.S. Please do not be confused between PARTS OF SPEECH (for example: verbs, nouns, adjectives, etc.) and PARTS OF A SENTENCE (for example: subject, predicate, object, objective complement, etc.).
    "The woman" is the subject. "The" is an adjective / determiner, and "woman" is a noun.
    Last edited by TheParser; 23-Jul-2015 at 19:49.