Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

"As a rule, the horizontal component of the field (H-component) is used for calculating the indices of geomagnetic activity and analyzing variations of the Earth’s magnetic field during magnetic storms".

Do we need to insert "the" before "indices"? There are several main indices of geomagnetic activity used all over the world and recognised by geophysicists, but the sentence says nothing about any particular indices, but just mentions their existence and application. That's why I have doubts about using "the".

Thanks

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hello,

I think I agree with you that, in the context presented, "the" should not be used. This is because the H-component is used in the calculation of all these different, recognised, indices around the world, rather than in just one specific set.

Last edited:

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks a lot! I have one more similar question about using "the".

"The mathematical model suggested in the paper is particularly capable of reflecting the characteristic variation and local perturbations of the geomagnetic field during the periods of increased geomagnetic activity".

Do we need "the" here?

Thanks

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Again, I would say "the" should not be used if you are talking about periods of increased geomagnetic activity in general. If you were talking about one, specific, period of increased activity you would use "the".

"local perturbations of the geomagnetic field during [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] periods of increased geomagnetic activity". [Periods in general].

"local perturbations of the geomagnetic field during the period[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] of increased geomagnetic activity". [One specific period].

I should just add that, you could also talk about specific periods of geomagnetic activity.

"local perturbations of the geomagnetic field during the periods of increased geomagnetic activity". [Several specific periods, usually in the context of something previously mentioned].

Does this help? Are you talking in general about these periods, or about one or more specific periods?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Rover, may I know why my answer was wrong?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Because of these two incorrect statements:

Activity" should be plural.
"Earth" should not be capitalized.

Last edited:

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for your help! I know everyone can express their opinion in the forum including native-speakers and learners. However, non-native-speakers should always be careful when suggesting something and they should always mention that they are non-native-speakers. I remember I posted replies myself some time ago, but I always mentioned where I'm from.

I think two posts above can be deleted since they contribute nothing to the thread.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Because of these two incorrect statements:

1. Activity" should be plural.
2. "Earth" should not be capitalized.

1. As a rule, the horizontal component of the field (H-component) is used for calculating the indices of geomagnetic activity and analyzing variations of the Earth’s magnetic field during magnetic storm.

OP's statement above is meant to be general. Activity is a countable noun. If it is singular, shouldn't it be written "a geomagnetic activity" rather than without the indefinte article? Why shouldn't it be plural if it refers to activities in general? The same applies to "magnetic storm".

2. It seems from the sample sentences given here, earth is not capitalized:
http://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?hardm=1&t=0&l=0&p=3&q=earth

Also, it says here that it is not capitalized if you have "the" preceding" it:
http://grammarist.com/style/earth/

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Activity is a countable noun.
It could be uncountable according to http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/activity?q=activity

2. It seems from the sample sentences given here, earth is not capitalized:
http://fraze.it/n_search.jsp?hardm=1&t=0&l=0&p=3&q=earth
I found similar examples at http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/earth_1?q=earth
Both 'the Earth' and 'the earth' are used above.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Matthew and tedmc, you appear to have spent a lot of time and gone to a lot of trouble to find examples from dictionaries and other sources in an effort to prove me wrong.

The fact remains that in the original post there's nothing wrong with '...calculating indices of geomagnetic activity'.

It's incorrect to say 'Earth should not be capitalised'. That's a matter of choice.

tedmc, if you are going to make statements like those and (in another thread) 'There should not be an article before miso soup', as though you were stating incontravertible facts, you'd be well advised to add in my opinion.

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Matthew and tedmc, you appear to have spent a lot of time and gone to a lot of trouble to find examples from dictionaries and other sources in an effort to prove me wrong.
Rover_KE, there is misunderstanding this time, because I found something about 'activity' which proves you right.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry, Matthew. I did indeed misunderstand your post.:oops:

Status