Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
May I say lines as below at the time of leaving organization:

I have been a wonderful experience of working over here for more than two years. I would like to thanks everyone for the cooperation and support I have received during my tenure. All the best to everyone for their careers ahead.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
May I say the lines [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] below [STRIKE]at the time of[/STRIKE] when leaving an organization?

It has [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] been a wonderful experience [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] working [STRIKE]over[/STRIKE] here for more than two years. I would like to thank everyone for the cooperation and support I have received during my tenure. All the best to everyone [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] with their careers ahead.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

May I say the lines as below at the time of when leaving an organization?

Are using "as" and "at the time of" wrong or are using them redundant here?

It has have been a wonderful experience of working over here for more than two years. I would like to thank everyone for the cooperation and support I have received during my tenure. All the best to everyone for with their careers ahead.

1) Why " I have been a wonderful ..." is wrong here.
2) Is using "over " redundant or wrong?
3) Why only thank not thanks.
4) Why I can't use "for" instead of "with".

Please clarify for my understanding. Thank you.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1) Why is " I have been a wonderful ..." [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] wrong here?
Self-praise is pompous and conceited!

2) Is using "over" redundant or wrong?
It is redundant, and it makes the text less formal.

3) Why [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] did you use "thank", not "thanks?"
This is because the infinitive is formed by "to" plus the base form of the verb.

4) Why I can't use "for" instead of "with".
"With" sounds more natural in that context.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have been a wonderful experience working for a company - sounds more like a joke.

If you are talking about "over here", it implies there should be somebody "over there".

I think to wish somebody "best wishes for your career" is not wrong but "with" sounds better.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suniljain
1) Why is " I have been a wonderful ..." is wrong here?

One more layman question:
It has been a wonderful experience....... . This sentence means that I am talking about myself. Then why "I have been a wonderful ..." is not correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suniljain

It has been a wonderful experience....... . This sentence means that I am talking about myself. Then why "I have been a wonderful ..." is not correct.

"I have been wonderful" means that you are complimenting yourself, suggesting that you did a really wonderful job! Most people don't say such nice things about themselves. "I have been a wonderful experience" is simply wrong. You cannot be an experience.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suniljain 1) Why is " I have been a wonderful ..." is wrong here?

Because the focus, or subject, in the first phrase is on the experience you've had, rather than being all about you.

Using, "I have been wonderful.." makes it seem big headed because, it is like saying "I have been brilliant". Starting a sentence like this with "I", makes you the subject, or focus, of the sentence and implies that the whole world revolves around you, because you are so fantastic. For this reason, as tedmc pointed out, this sort of sentence is sometimes used in comedy, because it sounds very conceited.

Does that make sense? That is why the others are saying you shouldn't use it.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Are using "as" and "at the time of" wrong or redundant here?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'As' 'when' are redundant.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales

Are using "as" and "at the time of" wrong or redundant here?

I don't feel that "as" is totally wrong in the sentence you used, but it is just unnecessary.

"at the time of" is a very long way of saying "when", which, in this context, means exactly the same thing.

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
May I say the lines below at the time of leaving an organization?

Can I use 'when" instead of "at the time of "? Does "when" sound better "than at the time of".

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by suniljain 1) Why is " I have been a wonderful ..." is wrong here?

Not a teacher.

It is not incorrect grammatically. What would you get if you converted it into a present simple form?

I am a wonderful experience.

In what form can you imagine yourself being a wonderful experience? For whom? You can only be a wonderful experience for somebody. Do you want to say that the company should be grateful for having had an experience working with you? That is why, I think, teechar said that it sounds conceited. Still, I feel somehow that it is not what you want to say.

If you still insist on mentioning yourself, you would probably be better off saying "I have had a wonderful experience working", the idea being is that it is you who are grateful to the company for that experience, not the other way round.

Last edited:

suniljain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Because the focus, or subject, in the first phrase is on the experience you've had, rather than being all about you.

Using, "I have been wonderful.." makes it seem big headed because, it is like saying "I have been brilliant". Starting a sentence like this with "I", makes you the subject, or focus, of the sentence and implies that the whole world revolves around you, because you are so fantastic. For this reason, as tedmc pointed out, this sort of sentence is sometimes used in comedy, because it sounds very conceited.

Does that make sense? That is why the others are saying you shouldn't use it.

My original sentence was: I have been a wonderful experience of working here for more than 2 years.

My understanding was that it means I got a good experience due to working in that company. But now I understood that it's not correct and the sentence will begin with " It has been a wonderful......".

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am a wonderful experience.

In what form can you imagine yourself being a wonderful experience? For whom?
It sounds to me as if 'I am a wonderful experience for the company because I do wonderful jobs.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It sounds to me as if 'I am a wonderful experience for the company because I do wonderful jobs.
So it does to me, Matthew. The OP, however, seems to have got the point already.

Weaver67

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Should the subject and the verb be inverted?
So does it to me, you mean? Maybe it should. I do not know. It might become a topic for another thread, though. ;-)

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My original sentence was: I have been a wonderful experience of working here for more than 2 years.

My understanding was that it means I got a good experience due to working in that company. But now I understood that it's not correct and the sentence will begin with " It has been a wonderful......".

I think perhaps you wanted to say "I have had a wonderful experience working here..."

Status
Not open for further replies.