• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Question How do use commas to separate?

How do use commas to separate the sentence below? and What is the meaning of the expression "viewers come to witness mission of hope"? Thanks in advance.

"Through keen-edged, frank, and sometimes prickly confrontations, viewers come to witness mission of hope, humility, and possibility and develop a profound connection to personal responsibility."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: How do use commas to separate?

Please state the source and author of your quotation, Arthur.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    How do you/we (or "How should I ...") use commas to separate the sentence below (no question mark yet because the next word is "and") and what is the meaning of the expression "viewers come to witness mission of hope"? Thanks in advance.

Through keen-edged, frank, and sometimes prickly confrontations, viewers come to witness mission of hope, humility, and possibility and develop a profound connection to personal responsibility.
    See my corrections to your first part. I have no idea what the writer meant by "witness mission of hope". When you tell us who wrote it and in what piece of writing, we might be able to make more sense of it.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

This expression is to contain my psychology book on subject of narcissism. I add writing out of it's context below.

Oprah Winfrey, like other icons of the media, makes us feel grateful for healthy adult narcissism. Without it, the eye-opening issues and lessons of transformation that emerge from her provocative interviews might not reach our awareness and mobilize our senses. Through keen-edged, frank, and sometimes prickly confrontations, viewers come to witness missions of hope, humility,and possibility and develop a profound connection to personal responsibility.

Last edited by emsr2d2; 25-Jul-2015 at 20:53. Reason: Removed a large part of the quote. This one paragraph should be enough.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Schopenhauer View Post
    This expression is to contained in my psychology book on the subject of narcissism. I have added writing out of it's the context below.

Oprah Winfrey, like other icons of the media, makes us feel grateful for healthy adult narcissism. Without it, the eye-opening issues and lessons of transformation that emerge from her provocative interviews might not reach our awareness and mobilize our senses. Through keen-edged, frank, and sometimes prickly confrontations, viewers come to witness missions of hope, humility,and possibility and develop a profound connection to personal responsibility.

I have removed most of your quote. The main paragraph containing your query should be enough. I have also made corrections in red to the first part of your post.

The people who watch some of Oprah Winfrey's shows are able to see people who are on a mission to bring hope to others.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.