Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 290
    #1

    The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    The Kingdom is in a festive mood, preparing for the royal wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene Fitzherbert's. But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings, a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway.

    Is this good to go? Any grammar mistakes in them?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 3,325
    #2

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    The Kingdom is in a festive mood, preparing for the royal wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene Fitzherbert('s). But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings; a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway.

    No apostrophe 's' and a semi-colon instead of a comma.
    I am not a teacher.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,843
    #3

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaya87 View Post
    The Kingdom is in a festive mood, preparing for the royal wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene. Fitzherbert's. But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings and a frenzied search to and recovery mission gets underway.

    Is this good to go? Any grammar mistakes in them?
    See above for my suggested changes. When we use "the wedding of", we simply follow it with the two people's names. There is no need for the possessive at the end and, in fact, there is no need to use the surname of one party (especially if you're not going to use the surname of the other party). Say either "the wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene" or "the wedding of "Rapunzel + surname and Eugene Fitzherbert".

    Your second half was a comma splice so I removed the comma and replaced it with "and". You could also put "so" there instead showing cause and effect. I have also changed "search to recovery" to "search and recovery". I'm not sure that's all necessary. You could just say "a frenzied search gets underway".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  2. teechar's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 6,180
    #4

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaya87 View Post
    But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings, and a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway.
    I agree with emsr2d2's comment about the names.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 290
    #5

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See above for my suggested changes. When we use "the wedding of", we simply follow it with the two people's names. There is no need for the possessive at the end and, in fact, there is no need to use the surname of one party (especially if you're not going to use the surname of the other party). Say either "the wedding of Rapunzel and Eugene" or "the wedding of "Rapunzel + surname and Eugene Fitzherbert".

    Your second half was a comma splice so I removed the comma and replaced it with "and". You could also put "so" there instead showing cause and effect. I have also changed "search to recovery" to "search and recovery". I'm not sure that's all necessary. You could just say "a frenzied search gets underway".

    Thanks for the feedback emsr2d2. I will take note and apply in the future. I thought it’s her full name. I didn’t know the name come with surname. It’s just that I’m not used to it with the English name. So, I always get stuck there. Looks like I need to do more research on this I guess. Ok, I’ll be more careful next time. Thank you for pointing out my mistakes to me.

    I would go for this since I feel awkward to use “and” twice in a sentence. When it replaced with “to” it sounds good to me when I read it.

    But Pascal and Maximus lose the wedding rings, and a frenzied search to recovery mission gets underway

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Apr 2014
    • Posts: 3,325
    #6

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    It is normally called "search to and recovery mission" as ems pointed out.
    There is no comma after "rings".
    I am not a teacher.

  3. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 9,981
    #7

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    There is no comma after "rings".
    I would use a comma there.

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #8

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    I am having difficulty following which use of rings is being referred to. Did you mean the original version or the revised version?

  5. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 9,981
    #9

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    I am having difficulty following which use of rings is being referred to. Did you mean the original version or the revised version?
    emsr2d2 would not use a comma after 'rings' in post #3. I would.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,983
    #10

    Re: The Kingdom is in a festive mood

    Thanks. I would use the comma also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] Festive dinner at Easter
    By angelene001 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2013, 20:52
  2. Festive Season
    By iamwkk in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2005, 16:14
  3. Easily topple a kingdom while difficult to keep it
    By NewHope in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-Aug-2004, 17:55

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •