• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Shaving?

"The form of the ceiling offers too many facilities for bumping your head, and too few for shaving."

What does "shaving" refer to in this extract from "The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Man" by Jerome K. Jerome? He mainly talks about attics in the rest of the text.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 28-Jul-2015 at 16:33. Reason: Fixed formatting

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: Shaving?

I am not a teacher.

Shaving is removing facial hair with a razor. Under a low sloping roof this can be difficult.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

I think that is a cynical description of how low and impractical the ceiling is. There are many projections (facilities) jutting down from the ceiling which would bump against your head, and the higher parts are only high enough to brush against (shave) your head.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I disagree with tedmc's use of "shave" there. It states that there are too few facilities for shaving - the meaning is clear - it is almost impossible to have a shave in that room because of the shape of the ceiling.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I disagree with tedmc's use of "shave" there. It states that there are too few facilities for shaving - the meaning is clear - it is almost impossible to have a shave in that room because of the shape of the ceiling.
    Does shaving necessarily mean shaving of hair? What has headroom got to do with shaving of hair, of all activities one does in an attic?
    Perhaps more text from the book would have shed some light.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I don't think it means shaving hair from the top of his/her head at all (I think that's what you're suggesting). I assume it means standard male shaving - removing stubble/beard/moustache hair. I have seen plenty of men having a shave and if the ceiling slopes very low over the basin/mirror in the bathroom (or a low, sloping ceiling in any room), it can make it very difficult because they can't get their head or arm/hand into a suitable position.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 28-Jul-2015 at 17:19.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    Does shaving necessarily mean shaving of hair? What has headroom got to do with shaving of hair, of all activities one does in an attic?
    If people are going to shave anything other than facial hair, they normally state what it is they are going to shave. It's also likely that in Jerome's day that was the only shaving that happened.

Men in the UK traditionally stand upright when they shave. This is not possible if an attic has low ceilings.

(Crossposted with emsr2d2)
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 28-Jul-2015 at 17:19. Reason: Fixed quote box

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Not A Teacher

Shaving in this case refers to shaving the beard on a person's face rather than hair on a person's head.
    We can infer this because of the fashions of the time in Victorian Britain when Jerome K. Jerome was writing 'The Idle Thoughts of an Idle Fellow', no gentleman would shave his head.
    (Posted just after esmr2d2 and Piscean.)
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 28-Jul-2015 at 17:55. Reason: Adding apostrophes to "person's".