This is not the image we've always had of Upper Paleolithic macho guys out killing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ledinhtam1980

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all,
Could you explain the structure of the highlighted sentence,please!. The passage is from the reading section in Toefl test of Barron.
Thanks in advance.

The status of women in a society depends in large measure on their role in the economy. the reinterpretation of the paleolithic past centers on new views of the role of women in the food-foraging economy. Amassing critical and previously overlooked evidence from Dolní Ve vstonice and the neighboring site of Pavlov, Olga Soffer, James Adovasio, and David Hyland now propose that human survival there had little to do with manly men hurling spears at big-game animals. Instead, observes Soffer, one of the world’s leading authorities on Ice Age hunters and gatherers and an archeologist at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana, it depended largely on women, plants, and a technique of hunting previously invisible in the archeological evidence—net hunting. This is not the image we’ve always had of Upper Paleolithic macho guys out killing animals up close and personal, Soffer explains. Net hunting is communal, and it involves the labor of children and women. And this has lots of implications.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's saying that the perception many people have had of early humans getting food by individual men hunting and killing animals from short distances is incorrect.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Books often show pictures of groups of cavemen throwing spears at mammoths. However, this image is inaccurate.

ledinhtam1980

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks for your replies.
I know the meaning of this sentence. But I really want to know how we write this sentence like this.
This is not the image we’ve always had of Upper Paleolithic macho guys out killing animals up close and personal.
I don't understand " had of..." and guys out killing"

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You are grouping words incorrectly.

Leave a slight pause where I have inserted an ellipsis:

This is not the image we’ve always had ... of Upper Paleolithic macho guys ​... out killing animals up close and personal.

ledinhtam1980

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks for your reply.
Could you tell me more. The function and the meaning of "of Upper Paleolithic macho guys " ?
Is it true that " this is not the image of Upper Paleolithic macho guys.​"
If it is true, how about " out killing animals up close and personal ..." ? what is the function and meaning of that phrase?
I really want to know how to write this sentence.

Thanks in advance.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
My understanding is that the phrase is essentially functioning as a contraction of something like:

"[that they went] out killing animals up close and personal."

"up close and personal" as used here is a joke. The phrase is usually used more seriously, when journalists talk about interviews with famous people, where they seek to get to know all they can.

The joke is that by contrast, the caveman was getting up close and personal with the animals he hunted, by shooting them with bows and arrows and hitting them with clubs.

Last edited:

ledinhtam1980

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks for your reply.
How about the phrase " ...of Upper Paleolithic macho guys..."
Is it true if I rewrite the sentence like that : This is not the image of Upper Paleolithic macho guys that went out killing animals up close and personal. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.