question

it is in effec on the date it is signed until (which one is correct) "it's expired" or "It expires"

everyone's name/ everyone's names

everyone's names-each person with more than one name or each person has one name

does thing and friend have to agree in number
    the most important thing to me is friends
    the most important things to me are fiiends

lets=let us which means it's plural which one is correct

lets do introduction
    lets do introductions

five dollars is expensive
    five dollars are expensive

they have to pay those 50 centses
    they have to pay 50 cents

good friends are hard to find
    good friends is hard to find

Re: question

"It is in effect on the date it is signed until it expires." - it will expire in the future, and that will then be the present; it has not expired now, when we are reporting.

"I want everyone's name." - as in, "I want John's name, and I want Jane's name - in fact, I want everyone's name." - each person has only one name.

"The most important thing to me is friends." - the verb 'to be' agrees in number with the subject, not the object.
    OR
    "The most important things to me are friends AND SOMETHING ELSE."

"Let's do introductions" OR "Let's do an introduction" - This is an imperative; the subordinate clause does not need to agree with it. You need the apostrophe because you are abbreviating "let us".

"Five dollars is expensive." - "Five dollars" is a composite subject forming a singular PRICE. The subject is therefore singular. But you would say "I received ten dollars, but five dollars are damaged." because the dollars themselves are then the subject, not the composite "five dollars".

"They have to pay those 50 cents" AND "They have to pay 50 cents" - "Cents" is the plural of "Cent", not "Centses"

"Good friends are hard to find" - "Friends" is a plural subject, so obviously the verb "to be" must match in number.

thank you so much !!!
    but i still have some question
    It is in effect on the date it is signed until it expires
    can i also say It is in effect on the date it is signed until it is expired.
    to keep it parellel with the first verb

there are alots of meat-free foods in the US restaurants. remember, meats like ham, sausage, bacon, and of course fish, aer often not...

i don't really understand y food is plural and you make it singular, meat in this case is pluratoo. y?
    can i say
    there are alots of meat-free food in the US restaurants. remember, meat like ham, sausage, bacon, and of course fish, aer often not...
    i have seen the money being pluralized as well-monies. can you tell me when to do that?

my first impression of him or my first impressions of him

when can i use winds and skies besides in weather reports. i thought you can't count wind and there is only one sky.

if you can't make it Lulu can make special "arrangements or arrangement" for you.
    does dorms refer to dorm rooms or the buildings?

so limtied in colors/color

no games are worth that price
    no game is worth that price

does the noun that follow no has to be singular cuz like nobody and none

this class is every monday wed fri

which one is correct
    do we have class next month

i ate so much carrots
    i ate so many carrots
    thank you mUCH!!!
    Last edited by teachmehelp; 03-Jun-2006 at 18:44.

Q. "It is in effect on the date it is signed until it is expired."
    A. To say "it is expired" would be a rather unnatural passive usage of the verb. Other alternatives for your phrase would be:
    " It takes effect on the date [that] it is signed and remains in effect until [the date that] it expires."
    Q. "there are alots of meat-free foods in the US restaurants. remember, meats like ham, sausage, bacon, and of course fish, aer often not..."
    A. First, "alots" doesn't mean anything. If you must use the phrase "a lot" it contains two words. Either "a lot of" or "lots of". For formal writing, try to find an alternative to using "a lot", such as "many".
    Meat and food are normal nouns. You could say "There is a lot of meat free food in ... ". The noun here agrees with the verb. The word meat is frequently used in the singular when the plural would technically be correct, e.g. "It is good to eat many different types of meat." In the case of your phrase, you are listing different types of meat so using "meats" sounds better.
    Q. "i have seen the money being pluralized as well-monies. can you tell me when to do that?"
    A. "Monies" is used to denote more than one sum of money. The plural "monies" as opposed to "moneys" (which is the natural plural) came into use in the 19th century. Typically it is lawyers and accountants who use the word "monies" with any frequency.
    Q. "my first impression of him or my first impressions of him"
    A. Depends whether you have one, or more than one, first impression. "My first impression of him is that he is friendly." "My first impression of him are that he is scruffy, noisy and unpleasant."
    Q. "when can i use winds and skies besides in weather reports. i thought you can't count wind and there is only one sky."
    A. Sky and skies are interchangeable. Wind means air in motion. Therefore, winds would refer to more than one flow of air.
    Q. "if you can't make it Lulu can make special "arrangements or arrangement" for you."
    A. Unless you are referring to one specific special arrangement, it is usual to say "make special arrangements",
    Q. "does dorms refer to dorm rooms or the buildings?"
    A. A dormitory is room, but I'm sure some people use the word to describe a building if it contains more than one dormitory.
    Q. "so limited in colors/color"
    A. Depends what you want to say.
    Q. "no games are worth that price / no game is worth that price"
    A. Depends if you are referring to one game or more than one game.
    Q. "does the noun that follow no have to be singular cuz like nobody and none"
    A. If I understand correctly, the answer is no. For example, "There are no flowers in the garden."
    Q. "this class is every monday wed fri"
    A. Correct.
    Q. "which one is correct
    do we have class next month"
    A. They are both the same They are both correct. Usage is American English.
    Q. "i ate so much carrots / i ate so many carrots"
    A. "So many carrots" as you are eating more than one. Examples "I ate too much dinner" "I ate too many carrots".
    Hope this helps. E

thank you so much E. that helped. A LOT!!!!!!!

i have some follow up questions

food is singular in this case. when would you use food in the plural form?
    only when we are refering to different kinds of foods? like mexican, korean, french foods? i have seen natural foods?
    you gave a sentence: It is good to eat many different types of meat
    is meat supposed to be pluralized.

It is good to eat many different types of meat
    It is good to eat many different types of meats

here i m talkinag about the shirt they have in a store, only blue and yellow
    so would that be plural. if they only had blue would i say just color.
    so limited in colors/color"

Sky and skies are interchangeable? you mean like the sky in the US and the sky in English, both skies are blue?

sry typo on the last one
    okay if i have class mon, wed, fri and i asked
    teacher, do we have class next month
    teacher, do we have classes next month
    what's the different between plural and singular of class

thank you
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    new questions

human is the only animal that doesn't act on instincts/instinct
    humans are the animal that doesn't act on instincts/instinct

i trust my instincts
    i trust my instinct
    i trust my intuition
    i trust my intuitions

my instincts are great
    my instinct is great
    my intuitions/intuition are/is great

i thought instinct is an ability and you only have one. i can't imagine have two instincts, but i have heard this being used

i want to record my students' voices
    i want to record my students' voice

i want to mean to record each voice. does the first mean each student has more than one voices?

brett and ben, both their names start with a b
    brett and ben, both their name start with a b

did you wanted me to help
    did you want me to help

he says i play games(games meaning no straight answer)
    do i play that much games
    do i play that many games

i don't have so much minutes on my cell
    i don't have so many minutes on my cell

what is the difference
    keep it for your record
    keep it for your records
    i have plans to finish college
    i have a plan to finish college

would grasses be an area of grass? i planned seeds in one area and should i say:
    grass is growing
    grasses are growing

bad behavior will cause you to be kicked out of this school
    bad behaviors will cause you to be kicked out of this school

what is the difference
    my responsiblity/responsibilities

THANK u
    Last edited by teachmehelp; 04-Jun-2006 at 16:44.

Q. "when would you use food in the plural form?"
    A. The example "It is good to eat many different types of meat" uses the singular because you would construe the sentence as referring to individual types. Picking the right one comes naturally to most naturalised English speakers . You would, however, say "It is good to eat different meats" because her it is clear you are referring to a number of separate meats.

Q. "here i m talkinag about the shirt they have in a store, only blue and yellow
    so would that be plural. if they only had blue would i say just color.
    so limited in colors/color"
    A. If you mean the shirt only comes in blue or yellow and I asked you "What are the shirts in that shop like?" you would say "They only have limited colours.".

Q. "Sky and skies are interchangeable? you mean like the sky in the US and the sky in English, both skies are blue?"
    A. I mean you can say in answer to a question such as "What's the weather like?" "The sky is cloudless" or "The skies are cloudless".

Q. "what's the different between plural and singular of class"
    A. Usually it would refer to having only one class next month or more than one class next month. In America I don't think this distinction is made. In England you would say "Do we have a lesson next month?" if you are only due to have one lesson, but "Do we have lessons next month?" if you are due to have more than one lesson.

Q. human is the only animal that doesn't act on instincts/instinct
    humans are the animal that doesn't act on instincts/instinct
    A. Humans are the only animal that do not act on instinct / their instincts.
    "Act on instinct" is used in the singular to refer to acting sub-consciously. You can have many instincts - types of behaviour that are "hard wired". The usual phrase would be "I trust my instincts" if you are speaking are the reason for making an decision.

Q. i trust my intuition
    i trust my intuitions
    A. A more usual phrase would be "I'm going to use my intuition".

Q, my instincts are great
    my instinct is great
    A. This would sound a bit odd. You could say "I am very instinctive" if you are saying that you use your instincts a lot.

Q. i want to record my students' voices
    i want to record my students' voice
    i want to mean to record each voice. does the first mean each student has more than one voices?
    A. "I want to record my students' voices" could mean you wanted to record them all together or individually. If you wanted to make it clear you want to record each one individually you would say "I want to record each voice of my students."

Q. brett and ben, both their names start with a b
    brett and ben, both their name start with a b
    A. "Both their names" as you are referring back to two names.

Q. did you wanted me to help
    did you want me to help
    A. "Did you want". You could say "You wanted me to help?"

Q. he says i play games(games meaning no straight answer)
    do i play that much games
    do i play that many games
    A. "Many" as you are talking about more than one game.

Q. i don't have so much minutes on my cell
    i don't have so many minutes on my cell
    A. You would say "I don't have many minutes [left] on my cell." "Many" as you are referring to more than one minute.

Q. what is the difference
    keep it for your record
    keep it for your records
    A. "Keep it for your record" if you are talking about a specific record some has. "Keep it for your records" is the general phrase used, as it assumes people have more than one record for lots of different things.

Q. i have plans to finish college
    i have a plan to finish college
    A. You would usually say "I plan to finish college". "I have plans" if you are going to carry on talking about other plans.

Q. would grasses be an area of grass? i planted seeds in one area and should i say:
    grass is growing
    grasses are growing
    A. You would use "grass" to refer to an area of grass. As there are different species of grasses you would only say "grasses" if you wanted to refer to different species that were growing.

Q. bad behavior will cause you to be kicked out of this school
    bad behaviors will cause you to be kicked out of this school
    A. "Bad behaviour". I can't think of an instance when you would use the plural.

Q. what is the difference
    my responsiblity/responsibilities
    A. "This is my responsibility", "These are part of my responsibilities" but "These things are my responsibility".

Hope this helps. Edmund

thank you that helped