Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Income tax assessment for F.Y 2010-11 & 2011-12 are completed. No demand has been raised for FY 2010-11. For FY 2011-12, demand has been raised for Rs. 48 lac along with penalty demand of Rs. 7 lac for delaying in deposit of income tax.

1. Is using delaying wrong? Should I use delay?

1. May I use any one of the following:

• Demand is raised
  • Demand has been raised
  • Demand has raised.

1. In simple past we write: He left, He woke up at 8 AM etc. Similarly can't we write: Demand raised…… (Is it wrong?) I understand this is wrong but is there any particular reason?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is not possible to understand what you have written as you use a lot of short forms. What is Rs 7 lac?
What demand are you talking about? What has demand got to do with income tax assessment?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What does "demand raised" mean in that context?

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I think, Anil is sending a letter to demand tax from a tax payer. Is that right Anil?

If that is the case I would actually do a slight re-write to something like this:

"The income tax assessments for the financial years 2010-11 & 2011-12 are now complete. No demand for tax has been raised for the 2010-11 financial year.

For the 2011-12 financial year, a demand has been raised for Rs. 48 lac, along with a penalty demand of Rs. 7 lac for late payment of income tax."

I work in finance and that sounds and looks right to me.

Does it keep the meaning that you wanted?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
OK, you raise a demand for the tax you have overpaid - is this the accepted taxman's language? All I know is that one is entitled to whatever tax overpaid, which the tax department is obliged to refund you without you asking for it. I guess it varies from one country to another.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I'm sure you are right, tedmc, that it will vary from country to country.

I think it's probable that the Indian tax system will probably be something similar to the British one, where companies and self employed people don't have to pay tax until a good period after the financial year has ended.

Their tax obligations for that year are then assessed, traditionally by the government tax office which may still be the case in India, or via "self assessment" where the business, individual or their accountant works out the liability to tax and then submits this to the government tax office for checking and confirmation. It is only then that the tax office makes a demand for payment, as no tax for that year has been paid. Therefore, there is no question of a refund as they haven't paid anything yet.

Anil Giria

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Demand letter was sent by Income tax department to the assesse i.e. tax payer. The sentence and my question was:

Income tax assessment for F.Y 2010-11 & 2011-12 are completed. No demand has been raised for FY 2010-11. For FY 2011-12, demand has been raised for Rs. 48 lac along with penalty demand of Rs. 7 lac for delaying in deposit of income tax.

1. Is using delaying wrong? Should I use delay?

2. May I use any one of the following:

• Demand is raised (instead of has been)
  • Demand has been raised
  • Demand has raised.

3. In simple past we write: He left, He woke up at 8 AM etc. Similarly can't we write: Demand raised…… (Is it wrong?) I understand this is wrong but is there any particular reason?

progress.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.