Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I'd appreciate any comments on the sentence below relating to grammar and words.

They fully utilisied the angled buildinglot, and created a building that perfectly fits the surroundings, yet sticks out.

Thanks for any help.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Hello,

I think I would probably change the word "building" to "design", if that still maintains the meaning you want. To me, it works perfectly in this context.

I would also change "sticks out" to "stands out". "Sticks out" is usually an unfavourable description. A house that sticks out is an awkward looking one, which might also be an obstacle. A house that stands out may be unusual, or interesting, in design.

So, for me, your sentence would work something like this:

"They fully utilis[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]ed the angled buildinglot, and created a design that perfectly fits the surroundings, yet still [STRIKE]sticks[/STRIKE] stands out."

You could use "yet is still striking." to end with instead, especially if the building is quite dramatic.

Does that help at all?

Snowcake

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you. That was very helpful. I wasn't aware of "stick out" bearing a negative meaning. :)

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
You're welcome. :up:

We have a very well known phrase, where something is ugly and out of place. We say, "It sticks out like a sore thumb!". So you definitely don't want your building to be thought of in those terms.

e.g.
A. "Did you see that house over there?"
B. "Oh yes, isn't it awful. It sticks out like a sore thumb!"

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Synonyms - fully exploited, fully taken advantage of
"Angled building lot" does not mean much. Is it angled in shape (sharp or pointed) or orientation(in relation to its access)?

"Building lot", not "buildinglot".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.