Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2014
    • Posts: 248
    #1

    I have been tired

    I have been tired.

    Is it passive voice? If so, what would be the active voice?

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,092
    #2

    Re: I have been tired

    No, 'tired' is an adjective. It's the present perfect tense of 'to be'. "I was tired (past tense); I have been tired (pres. perf.); I had been tired (past perf.)".

    The same pattern can be passive, as in "I have been abused", meaning "Someone has abused me". But "Someone has tired me", although possible, isn't likely.

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,827
    #3

    Re: I have been tired

    Is it possible to say 'I have been tired by the work', where 'tired' is a past participle?
    I am not a teacher.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,626
    #4

    Re: I have been tired

    I don't find that natural, Matthew. We would be more likely to say "The work (has) tired me out".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2014
    • Posts: 248
    #5

    Re: I have been tired

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, 'tired' is an adjective. It's the present perfect tense of 'to be'. "I was tired (past tense); I have been tired (pres. perf.); I had been tired (past perf.)".

    The same pattern can be passive, as in "I have been abused", meaning "Someone has abused me". But "Someone has tired me", although possible, isn't likely.
    Is been also used as "to be"?

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,868
    #6

    Re: I have been tired

    Quote Originally Posted by Anil Giria View Post
    Is been also used as "to be"?
    You seem to be asking the same question over and over again in different ways and in different threads. Unfortunately, it seems you don't understand the absolute basic construction of the verb "to be" in its different tenses. Consequently, your question doesn't make any sense.

    To be = infinitive form

    am/are/was/is/were/have been/has been are all different person/tense constructions stemming from "to be". If you don't understand that, you are not going to understand any of our answers.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2014
    • Posts: 248
    #7

    Re: I have been tired

    I have been amused.

    I have been tired.

    Both " has done " and " has
    been done " are parts of
    English's present perfect tense. They have only one
    difference : the first is active, the second is passive.


    My understanding was that we use has been/have been (when the same is not perfect continuous) only in passive voice for present perfect tense.

  5. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,827
    #8

    Re: I have been tired

    Quote Originally Posted by Anil Giria View Post
    My understanding was that we use has been/have been (when the same is not perfect continuous) only in passive voice for present perfect tense.
    My understanding is that we do not have such a rule.
    I am not a teacher.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,868
    #9

    Re: I have been tired

    I don't know where you're getting these rules from I think you need to get a better "rule" book.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Nov 2014
    • Posts: 248
    #10

    Re: I have been tired

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    You seem to be asking the same question over and over again in different ways and in different threads. Unfortunately, it seems you don't understand the absolute basic construction of the verb "to be" in its different tenses. Consequently, your question doesn't make any sense.

    To be = infinitive form

    am/are/was/is/were/have been/has been are all different person/tense constructions stemming from "to be". If you don't understand that, you are not going to understand any of our answers.
    Thanks for your reply. I understand bit about "to be" sentence. For example: Ram is a good boy. This sentence is "to be: sentence since here "is" is used as a main verb. Please correct if my understanding is wrong.

    But I didn't understand why the following sentence is "to be" sentence:

    I have been tired.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] I am too tired
    By suniljain in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Jun-2015, 00:53
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Dec-2014, 21:11
  3. [Grammar] Having been tired/ Tired she quit her job.
    By wotcha22 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2014, 21:15
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2014, 21:42
  5. [Grammar] Make me feel tired / Make me tired?
    By haha27 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2012, 18:37

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •