[Grammar] Why use "though" here instead of "as"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Why use "though" here instead of "as"?

The research done on learning leadership reveals that innovation in this area takes place though teams of educators working in a network who are open to learning from each other, to co-operating with families and to interacting with other schools, the local community and other countries. In the new context of change and in a ref lexive society, networks have huge potential to generate learning dynamics based on openness, dialogue and co-operation. Hence innovation and reform are generated at the meso level of the community, enhancing interconnections, and spreading innovation right across the micro, meso and macro levels.

(See Chapter 6 "Promoting learning leadership in Catalonia and beyond" of a report titled "Leadership for 21st century learning" published by OECD in 2013. )

(The third paragraph of p.188. Here is the link: http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asse...1st-century-learning_9789264205406-en#page191)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is very wordy and difficult to understand.

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am not a teacher

Are you sure it's not a printing mistake ?
Through seems more appropriate .

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes, that is a typo. "Though" should be followed by an independent clause, which the clause stated is not. The sentence would make sense with the preposition "through".

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Though" should be followed by an independent clause, which the clause stated is not.
What is stated is not a clause but a noun phrase.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'...through' would make more sense to me, too.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Why use "though" here instead of "as"?
I think 'as' could be used if 'working' was replaced with 'work', i.e. the noun phrase was changed to a clause.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think 'as' could be used if 'working' was replaced with 'work', i.e. the noun phrase was changed to a clause.

The research done on learning leadership reveals that innovation in this area takes place as teams of educators work in a network who are open to learning from each other, to co-operating with families and to interacting with other schools, the local community and other countries.

It would not work either as the sentence cannot connect with the subsequent phrases (underlined).

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It would not work either as the sentence cannot connect with the subsequent phrases (underlined).
It would work as 'who are open' can connect with the subsequent phrases (underlined).

Status
Not open for further replies.