English language survey - immediate help needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have answered both surveys. It is unfortunate that you chose the words "acceptable/unacceptable". Had you chosen "natural/unnatural" it would have been much easier to answer the ones which are technically grammatical but would never be said by a native speaker.

amelina

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Dear emsr2d2,
Thank you for doing the surveys. My supervisor insisted that I should use the exact word acceptable or unacceptable. Could you please quote some sentences you found technically grammatical but nonusable in speech? Some of the sentences in the survey are marked as perfectly acceptable/ grammatical in the literature, e.g. (1-3) below, but are marked as totally unacceptable by my informants. Do you find these examples perfectly grammatical but unnatural?
(1) Beans, never in my life will I eat.
(2) This book, to ROBIN I gave (but not to Anne)
(3) A university is the kind of place in which that kind of behaviour we cannot tolerate.

Many thanks in advance!

amelina

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Thank you very much. Your comments are very helpful, since the third sentence has been marked as perfectly acceptable/ grammatical by Radford. Not being a native speaker makes the matter rather complicated :)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

It is completely unacceptable.

These are acceptable.
A university is the kind of place in which that kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated.
A university is the kind of place in which we cannot tolerate that kind of behaviour.

amelina

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Thank you for such a good explanation! Hoewever, if the sentence is used in the context you've just mentioned, the constituent that kind of behaviour should have stronger emphasis and should be contrasted with some other previously mentioned element, I suppose?
For example: in which that kind of behaviour (=alcohol and drug abuse) we cannot tolerate (but some other kinds of behaviour are, on the other hand, tolerated. I really appreciate your help and your very useful explanations.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't usually take surveys. It is said that many survey sites collect data on the responders.

amelina

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
I've never even thought about that, but maybe you're right MikeNewYork. However, since we (non-native speakers) have no close contact with English native speakers, we resort to conducting surveys (the only option available :)).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

It is completely unacceptable.

These are acceptable.
A university is the kind of place in which that kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated.
A university is the kind of place in which we cannot tolerate that kind of behaviour.

Replacing "in which" with "where" is more natural to me.

amelina

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Could you possibly tell me how you'd rate the following sentences? Are they acceptable, but unnatural or unacceptable and thus unnatural?
1. Mary wonders why under no circumstances at all would John volunteer.
2. Lee wonders why only then would Robin volunteer.
3. I wonder on which table only with great difficulty would she put the big rock.
4. Lee wonders which students under no circumstances at all would Robin talk to.
5. Syntax is the kind of subject which only very rarely will students enjoy.

Your comments are very valuable and I greatly appreciate your help...

amelina

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
Is there anyone willing to help me at least with the first and the third sentence? Native speakers' help is much needed....

Status
Not open for further replies.