Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear anyone,
I have some question to ask how to speak English fluently like native English speaker.

My background;
i speak English from elementary (grade 1)~high school(12 grade), i spend more than 10 year of using English, my school is an international;l school, so all of my teacher are around the word. I was move to Bangkok, when i was 6 years old. So basely i used English only at school. due to my parent doesn't know English, and speak Chinese at home.

Problem:
After graduate from high school, i live Bangkok, and go back to my own country which have to English. But in university, some of the text book are English. I tried not to forget English, i speak English by myself, to avoid English to drop.

After graduate from university, i went to work. Last few month I watch Youtube to teach how to learn speaking English fluently, it told me to record my voice. This is my first time record, i was really curious. I learned English for so long, why my voice is not like native English speaker. When i talk, i never know my rally sound was like that, recording give me the truly voice. My English is like normal English, will not have Chinese accent on it, but also will not be like native speaker. My first language is Chinese (reading and listen only). second language (reading, speaking, writing, and talking).

[Question ]
Why is it, will people have this problem? How to speak English voice sound like native speaker. I need someone give me some advice. I just record from my phone. IS there any teacher who can give me truely advice.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many learners do not lose their accent. In fact, the number that can pass as native speakers is relatively small. However, this is not a problem as long as you can make yourself understood- comprehension is essential, perfection is a bonus.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear anyone,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary and grammatically incorrect

I have some questions [STRIKE]to ask [/STRIKE] about how to speak English fluently like a native English speaker.

My background:
I [STRIKE]speak[/STRIKE] have spoken English [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] from elementary (1st grade [STRIKE]1[/STRIKE])until high school (12th grade). I [STRIKE]spend[/STRIKE] spent more than 10 years [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] using English. My school is an international[STRIKE];l [/STRIKE] school (no comma here) so [STRIKE]all[/STRIKE] of my teachers are from all around the world. I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] moved to Bangkok (no comma here) when I was 6 years old so [STRIKE]basely[/STRIKE] basically I used English only at school due to the fact that my parents [STRIKE]doesn't[/STRIKE] don't [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] speak English (no comma here) and speak Chinese at home.

Problem:
After [STRIKE]graduate[/STRIKE] graduating from high school, I lived in Bangkok, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] then [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] went back to my own country [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] where I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] had to speak English. But [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at university, some of the text books are in English. I have tried not to forget English. I speak English by myself (no comma here) to avoid losing my English. [STRIKE]to drop. [/STRIKE]

After [STRIKE]graduate[/STRIKE] graduating from university, I [STRIKE]went to[/STRIKE] started work. In the last few months, I have been watching YouTube to teach myself how to [STRIKE]learn[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]speaking[/STRIKE] speak English fluently. [STRIKE]t told me to[/STRIKE] One video suggested that I record my voice. This [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was the [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] first time I had recorded myself and I was really curious. I [STRIKE]learned[/STRIKE] have been learning English for so long so why is my voice [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] not like a native English speaker? When I [STRIKE]talk[/STRIKE] speak, I [STRIKE]never[/STRIKE] don't know [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] what my voice really sounds like. [STRIKE]was like that,[/STRIKE] Recording myself [STRIKE]give[/STRIKE] allowed me to hear [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] my [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]truly[/STRIKE] real voice. My English is like normal English, [STRIKE]will not[/STRIKE] I don't have a Chinese accent [STRIKE]on it,[/STRIKE] but I also [STRIKE]will not be[/STRIKE] don't sound like a native speaker. My first language is Chinese (reading and listening only). My second language (reading, speaking, writing, and talking) ... (unfinished sentence)

[Question ]
Why [STRIKE]is it, will[/STRIKE] do people have this problem? How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I speak English [STRIKE]voice sound[/STRIKE] like a native speaker? I need someone to give me some advice. I [STRIKE]just[/STRIKE] have recorded myself [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] on my phone. Is there [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] a teacher who can give me [STRIKE]truely[/STRIKE] good advice?

If you want to speak English like a native speaker, the first thing to do is to stop worrying about your accent and speaking voice and concentrate on learning how to use correct, grammatical English. As you can see from my multiple corrections above, you make a lot of mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.