• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

In the manner of

Here are few sentences I have written just to see if I could use "in the manner of" correctly. I am not sure if they sound native, so would you please help me and correct my mistakes?

1. The man walked the street glancing left and right, and looking at people's faces with fear, in the manner of one chased and threatened by the invisible stalker.
    2. The young girl stared at her reflection in every shop window in the manner of one concerned with her looks.
    3. When his wife told Peter she wanted divorce, he looked at her in the manner of someone who had just received a death sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: In the manner of

Quote Originally Posted by Bassim View Post
    Here are few sentences I have written just to see if I could use "in the manner of" correctly. I am not sure if they sound native, so would you please help me and correct my mistakes?

1. The man walked the street glancing left and right, and looking at people's faces with fear, in the manner of someone chased and threatened by an invisible stalker.
    2. The young girl stared at her reflection in every shop window in the manner of one concerned with her looks.
    3. When his wife told Peter she wanted divorce, he looked at her in the manner of someone who had just received a death sentence.
    They are not wrong (with the modifications I have made to #1) but they are not natural. I can't imagine any native speaker using them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: In the manner of

In addition to bhaisahab's comments, I would just say that personally, to me sentence 3 might work if it were from a 19th century novel.

However, I think the reason sentences 1 and 3 also don't really work is that they are dealing with relatively dramatic events. Your sentences are quite long, but you will probably notice that most first language writers will make this type of sentence pretty short. The shortness increases the sense of drama and tension. So using quite a long phrase like, "in the manner of" doesn't fit.

Using your sentences, as a speaker or writer I would adapt them to something along these lines, to increase the tension, which is more what I would naturally expect to hear or read:

1. The man walked the street glancing left and right,and looking at people's faces with fear, as if in the manner of someone chased and threatened by an invisible stalker.

2. The young girl stared at her reflection in every shop window as if in the manner of one overly concerned with her looks.

3. When his wife told Peter When Peter's wife told him that she wanted a divorce, he looked at her as if he in the manner of someone who had just received a death sentence.

Using "as if" in each of these, rather than "in the manner of", seems more natural to me.

However, I did find one sentence where I thought it worked really well: http://www.macmillandictionary.com/d...-the-manner-of

"He passed his hands in front of my eyes in the manner of a hypnotist.".
    Last edited by Eckaslike; 04-Aug-2015 at 08:23. Reason: Removing typo.