Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey,
I need a little bit of help regarding a formal e-mail I have to sent. Some context: After I finish my bachelor's, I'd love to go to Japan and work there for a year. It's quite common in Japan to 'import' foreigners to teach English, as their education system primarily focuses on grammar and translation, and most Japanese students don't learn to actually speak and write English. However, the company I'd like to apply to usually hires native speakers, and now I want to ask if my skill set might still be enough. I really want this mail to look perfect and don't ruin a first impression because I overlooked a grammar mistake or the like.
This is what I have so far:
--------------------

Dear XXX,
As I am currently learning Japanese and plan on working in Japan after I finish my bachelor’s degree, I am writing to enquire about your application requirements.
Unfortunately, I am not a native English speaker; at present, I am studying at a German University, and expect to obtain my bachelor's degree in early 2018.
However, I do consider myself fluent in English, and after living and studying for a year in England, have passed the CAE on level C2. Shortly afterwards, I went to a Dutch University to study International Communications for a year, a study program which was also taught entirely in English.

I would greatly appreciate if you could indicate whether my qualifications are sufficient to apply at XXXX(company name) for a teaching job.

Thanking you in advance,
Kind regards,
-Sanni-

-----------

Any ideas / suggestions / changes? :)
As you can see, it's not a pressing matter; I just want to know if I should start looking at other schools who have less strict hiring requirements.
Thank you!
Sanni

thminh88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I would change your letter like this
"As I am currently learning Japanese in hope of working in Japan after my bachelor's degree in early 2018, I would like to enquire more information about your application requirements.
Though I am not a native English speaker, I do consider myself fluent in English. I have studied in England for a year and passed the CAE level C2. Shortly afterwards, I went to Dutch University to study International Communication for a year, a study program taught entirely in English.
..."
I am also not a English native speaker so this was my own opinion. If someone spot any mistake or misuse of words, please let me know.
Anyways, cheers

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]Hey,[/STRIKE]
I need a little bit of help [STRIKE]regarding[/STRIKE] writing a formal email. [STRIKE]I have to send.[/STRIKE] Some context: After I finish my bachelor's, I'd love to go to Japan and work there for a year. It's quite common in Japan to 'import' foreigners to teach English, as their education system primarily focuses on grammar and translation, and most Japanese students don't learn to actually speak and write English. However, the company I'd like to apply to usually hires native speakers, and now I want to ask if my skill set might still be enough. I really want this mail to look perfect and [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] not [STRIKE]ruin[/STRIKE] give a bad first impression because I overlooked a grammar mistake or something similar. [STRIKE]the like.[/STRIKE]
This is what I have so far:
--------------------

Dear XXX,
I am writing to enquire about your [STRIKE]application[/STRIKE] requirements for teaching positions.
[STRIKE]As[/STRIKE] I am currently learning Japanese and plan on working in Japan after I finish my bachelor’s degree. [STRIKE], I am writing to enquire about your application requirements.[/STRIKE]
[STRIKE]Unfortunately, I am not a native English speaker;[/STRIKE] At present, I am studying at a German university, and expect to obtain my bachelor's degree in early 2018.

I am not a native English speaker, but [STRIKE]However,[/STRIKE] I do consider myself fluent in English. [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE] After living and studying for a year in England, I [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] passed the CAE [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] level C2 exam. Shortly afterwards, I [STRIKE]went to a Dutch University to study[/STRIKE] studied International Communications at a Dutch university for a year, [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] where the study program [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] was [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] taught entirely in English.

I would greatly appreciate if you could indicate whether my qualifications are sufficient to apply [STRIKE]at XXXX(company name)[/STRIKE] for a teaching job at XXXX.

Thanking you in advance,
Kind regards,

Sanni

-----------

Any ideas / suggestions / changes? [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]
As you can see, it's not a pressing matter; I just want to know if I should start looking at other schools [STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] which have less strict hiring requirements.
Thank you!
Sanni
See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.