Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Feb 2010
    • Posts: 204
    #1

    Shovel it on

    Hi,

    I want to know the meaning of these two sentences :

    a) shovel it on which I believe is a slang
    does that means the same as pile it on .
    usage as I heard on television :
    A: I don't think I have what it takes to do this task.B: No,that's not true,you are smart ,independent ,eloquent and self-assured .
    C: Yes,I totally agree.You have more than what it takes to do this kind of job.
    D: Enters the room,yeah,yeah! keep shoveling it on.I don't think you have what it takes to do this kind of job that's why you got rejected.
    Does that mean to pile on the praises ?

    b) Reel that in or keep reeling out
    usage :
    A: I have climbed Mt. Everest and I swam across The English channel.......
    B: (With disbelief) yeah you need to reel that in man!
    Does that mean to give me a break, I don't believe you.You are exaggerating.
    and I have heard keep reeling out which means "keep exaggerating" in that context.

    Thank you for your help and time.

  1. Eckaslike's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 574
    #2

    Re: Shovel it on

    Good evening,

    Quote Originally Posted by gurpreetgill4u View Post
    D: Enters the room,yeah,yeah! keep shoveling it on.I don't think you have what it takes to do this kind of job that's why you got rejected.
    Does that mean to pile on the praises ?
    In this instance yes, but the character is being highly sarcastic. He is saying the equivalent of "keep shoveling it [the praises] on" and character A might actually start believing all those nice things you are saying about them. However, that's not what I think, "I don't think you have what it takes to do this kind of job that's why you got rejected".

    Quote Originally Posted by gurpreetgill4u View Post
    A: I have climbed Mt. Everest and I swam across The English channel.......
    B: (With disbelief) yeah you need to reel that in man!
    Does that mean to give me a break, I don't believe you.You are exaggerating.
    and I have heard keep reeling out which means "keep exaggerating" in that context.
    No, I think this is another slang phrase, which this time is being used as an indirect compliment that means something like "you've got to stop doing all these amazing things, because you're putting the rest of us to shame!"

    "Reel it in": In the sense of reeling in a fishing line which shortens it, or makes the length smaller. So, by "reeling it in" you are making something smaller. In this case the person is jokingly saying that A should do less.

  2. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 10,017
    #3

    Re: Shovel it on

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckaslike View Post

    No, I think this is another slang phrase, which this time is being used as an indirect compliment that means something like "you've got to stop doing all these amazing things, because you're putting the rest of us to shame!"
    As B's words are spoken 'with disbelief', I think that gurpreetgill4u's interpretation is correct.

  3. Eckaslike's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 574
    #4

    Re: Shovel it on

    Yes, you are quite right. I missed that. I took disbelief to mean surprise, rather than actually not believing the stories.

    In that context, I agree it would mean he's telling him to essentially "reel in the lies" or to stop exaggerating.

  4. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 10,017
    #5

    Re: Shovel it on

    Quote Originally Posted by Eckaslike View Post
    In that context, I agree it would mean he's telling him to essentially "reel in the lies" or to stop exaggerating.
    I should add, gurpreetgill4u, that Eckaslike's interpretation is quite possible in other contexts.

  5. Skrej's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: May 2015
    • Posts: 2,398
    #6

    Re: Shovel it on

    Quote Originally Posted by gurpreetgill4u
    Hi,

    a) shovel it on which I believe is a slang
    does that means the same as pile it on .
    usage as I heard on television :
    A: I don't think I have what it takes to do this task.B: No,that's not true,you are smart ,independent ,eloquent and self-assured .
    C: Yes,I totally agree.You have more than what it takes to do this kind of job.
    D: Enters the room,yeah,yeah! keep shoveling it on.I don't think you have what it takes to do this kind of job that's why you got rejected.
    Does that mean to pile on the praises ?
    I interpret it as a suggestion the others are shoveling on so much bullsh*t. They're giving him a bunch of false praise. We sometimes refer to giving insincere praise as piling/shoveling (depending on the volume) the B.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by gurpreetgill4u
    b) Reel that in or keep reeling out
    usage :
    A: I have climbed Mt. Everest and I swam across The English channel.......
    B: (With disbelief) yeah you need to reel that in man!
    Does that mean to give me a break, I don't believe you.You are exaggerating.
    and I have heard keep reeling out which means "keep exaggerating" in that context.
    I think he's (sarcastically, since he doesn't believe it) suggesting that the speaker needs to cut back on all this activity. He's using 'reel that in' to suggest the speaker is getting carried away with his supposed activities. In this context, it's similar to the idiom 'dial it back', meaning reduce or lower.

Similar Threads

  1. put to bed with a shovel
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-Jun-2014, 12:21
  2. Did somebody with a shovel
    By AlexAD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Jan-2012, 00:32

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •