Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello all!

I have a question. What should i use in following sentence: There is an advertisment for/of a new software on my site.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'd use 'for'.
More importantly, "a new software" isn't right. 'Software' is a non-count noun. "A new program" is right. You could also use "some new software".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello all!

I have a question. What should I use in following sentence? "There is an advertisement for/of a new software on my site."

Welcome to the forums, grey_man. Please note the corrections I have made to your question. I would write it like this: "There is an advertisement for new software on my site". No article before "software", it's uncountable.

grey_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for answers. In which cases should I use "advertisement of"? In the Internet there are many examples with that construction, but without explanation.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'a piece of new software' is grammatical, but I am not a teacher.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for answers. In which cases should i use "advertisment of"? In the Internet there are many examples with that construction, but without explanation.

In all cases you should capitalise the personal pronoun "I" and spell "advertisement" correctly. Please write an example sentence using ""advertisement of" for our consideration.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
To me, "advertisement for" is right if you have a concrete 'ad' for something. In the abstract, you could talk about the advertisement of your new software. This refers to the act of advertising it, not the actual words or pictures.

grey_man

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
For example: "Next to the conveyor belt a man is busy reading his newspaper, the front page showing an advertisement of car brand Mercedes, which had begun to sell cars in Eastern Germany no sooner than after the reunification". I took this example from here: "http://www.kunsthal.nl/en-22-603-A_Tribute_to_the_Trabant.html". In addition, there is an example in "Wikipedia" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advertising): "The advertisement of controversial products such as cigarettes and condoms are subject to government regulation in many countries."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Next to the conveyor belt a man is busy reading his newspaper, the front page showing an advertisement of car brand Mercedes, which had begun to sell cars in Eastern Germany no sooner than after the reunification".
This is a poor sentence, not only because of the incorrect use of "advertisement of".

"The advertisement of controversial products such as cigarettes and condoms are subject to government regulation in many countries."
This is fine. As in Raymott's example, it refers to the act of advertising.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"The advertisement of controversial products such as cigarettes and condoms are subject to government regulation in many countries."
This is fine. As in Raymott's example, it refers to the act of advertising.
That's right. In fact, in my opinion, 'The advertising of controversial products...' would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.