• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

speak in favor of the idea

How should I understand the underlined sentence, especially those bold expressions?

In that domain (biology) death cannot be considered the inverse operation of survival in the same way what the dissociation of a molecule might be considered the inverse operation of the chemical combination forming it. It would appear, therefore, that biological perturbations speak in favor of the idea that disequilibria are inherent in the laws of life because they arise from what is "normal" and what is "abnormal," categories that sketch out what will eventually become "normative" in the cognitive sense.

Source: Jean Piaget(1985), The equilibration of cognitive structures: The central problem of intellectual development. The University of Chicago Press. p. 4.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: speak in favor of the idea

Please remind me why you are asking us these questions, shwm.

If this is a course you are studying, why is your tutor not making things clear?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I am trying to translate the book, but I have no English tutor with me as I am not a student now, so I used to come to you for help when I encounter problems in the process of reading.

I have learned English by myself for almost 10 years after my graduation. Sometimes I learn from others by asking questions online. I am happy to find this website because you guys are really awesome and nice, answering my questions quickly and letting me learn deeply.

Please let me know if my behavior is not appropriate here or if the frequency of my questions is too high. I am grateful for your reminder.

I am so sorry for the inconvenience I bring here.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 06-Aug-2015 at 22:43.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by shwm View Post
    How should I understand the underlined sentence, especially those bold expressions?

In that domain (biology) death cannot be considered the inverse operation of survival in the same way that the dissociation of a molecule might be considered the inverse operation of the chemical combination forming it. It would appear, therefore, that biological perturbations speak in favor of the idea that disequilibria are inherent in the laws of life because they arise from what is "normal" and what is "abnormal," categories that sketch out what will eventually become "normative" in the cognitive sense.

Source: Jean Piaget(1985), The equilibration of cognitive structures: The central problem of intellectual development. The University of Chicago Press. p. 4.
    Consider my correction

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thank you so much! That's my typo, not the author's. Sorry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork View Post
    Consider my correction

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by shwm View Post
    In that domain (biology) death cannot be considered the inverse operation of survival in the same way that the dissociation of a molecule might be considered the inverse operation of the chemical combination forming it. It would appear, therefore, that biological perturbations speak in favor of the idea that disequilibria are inherent in the laws of life because they arise from what is "normal" and what is "abnormal," categories that sketch out what will eventually become "normative" in the cognitive sense.

Hello shwm,

I'll have a go at "translating" the underlined part into plain English. I have included the correction MikNY suggested. Others will, no doubt, add their own thoughts and ideas, but I'll start it off.

"It would appear, therefore, that fluctuations which occur within biology support the idea that imbalances are a natural part of the laws of life because they arise from what is [termed] "normal" and what is [termed] "abnormal", [two] categories that determine what will eventually become "the norm for a person's behaviour" in the sense of the way that they consciously think."