• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Booking a hotel room - help me :)

Hello, I'm new person on this forum.
    A week go I started to work in new place and in this work I have to use an english language via telephone. One of my obligations is booking a hotel rooms on-line and after this I have to confirm book with phone call. I have never done this before and (as you can see ) my english isn't so good, so I have one question related with this: I heard that when somebody books a hotel room and pays for it with credit card, some hotels don't take the money from the credit card, but only block this money and the person who arrive to the hotel must have money (cash) and pay for the hotel with cash. Does somebody heard about this? I don't know how to ask about this via telephone because I'm afraid of ridicule. I have wrote sentence which maybe can help me with this question, so big please: correct this if it's something wrong with this.

"I have booked a room in your hotel and I paid for this room with my credit card. I would ask do you take the money from my credit card or will I have to pay with the cash when I will arrive to the hotel?"

Thank you, and please correct my english in my whole post - I want to learn how to write correctly.
    Greetings for All
    Marti

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Booking a hotel room - help me :)

Welcome to the forum. Marti

I really think you need to talk to your line manager about this.

I don't think there are many hotels these days which accept a credit card to confirm a booking and then insist on cash payment when the guest arrives.

A simple question when you book would be "How do I pay for this? Do you debit my card now or when I register?"

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Booking a hotel room - help me :)

In the US, many hotels will reserve the room with a credit card, but offer you the choice of payment when you arrive.
    You can then use a different card to pay for the room when you arrive, or pay cash.

In addition to Piscean's suggestion, you could say "Will you be charging the card used to make the reservation, or is a different form of payment expected at check-in?"

This is "American" vocabulary, so please disregard if you are using a different variety of English.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.