Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Which one of these two phrases is correct, " Thanks God" or " Thank God?
If we have both of them in English, what is the difference between them?

Which one of them is used to show our gratitude to God?

Thank you very much for your all help.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I am not particularly a believer as such, although I had a very traditional upbringing involving church three times a week for quite a few years.

One phrase which comes instantly to mind is "Thanks be to God.".

You can either say that on its own as a thank you, or add a phrase on to it to say why you are thankful.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've noticed in American Jewish culture, "Thanks God" is used the way others say "Thank God."
No one was hurt in the accident, thanks God.

This may be regional as well, but in the Jewish circles of West Bloomfield, Michigan, it's sure heard a lot.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

I used to be a choirboy at our village church when I was a boy I think "Thanks be unto God" is the more formal versions of "Thanks be to God" used in some services.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
Not A Teacher

I used to be a choirboy at our village church when I was a boy I think "Thanks be unto God" is the more formal versions of "Thanks be to God" used in some services.
I was a choirboy too. As you say "Thanks be unto God" is probably more formal. I expect the variation of usage may have depended on which denomination of church we both attended. There may also be differences depending on "high" and "low" church variations. Mine was definitely "low church".

But thankes bee to God, which giueth vs the victorie, through our Lord Iesus Christ.
- King James Version (1611) - View 1611 Bible Scan

"Thanks be unto God" is also in there but I can't find it now, so both are obviously pretty old.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"I've noticed in American Jewish culture, "Thanks God" is used the way others say "Thank God."
No one was hurt in the accident, thanks God.

This may be regional as well, but in the Jewish circles of West Bloomfield, Michigan, it's sure heard a lot".

I've noticed that too, and not only among my Jewish friends, but from my Serbian grandmother. Just immigrant difficulties with English idiom.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you know, we have a large Jewish population in New York City. I don't recall ever hearing "Thanks God".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As punctuation can't be heard, is it possible they are effectively saying "No one was hurt. Thanks, ​God"?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me, it's just a sign of thinking in the grammar of two languages at once, or misinterpreting the grammar of English. I had an ex-girlfriend who thought "close it" and "closed" were the same word.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As punctuation can't be heard, is it possible they are effectively saying "No one was hurt. Thanks, ​God"?
No, it's just like "Thank God" in intonation. None of these people are first-generation.

Many are second-generation though. I expect it was used by their parents who picked it up from their own parents as they learned English. But I assure you, it's not isolated to a few people in this community. Maybe they are all descended from people who attended the same synagogue.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would think that the word stress would answer that. Normally, one would say THANKS, God or thanks GOD.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In the UK, the people I hear using Thanks God are generally not native speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.