Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello everyone. I am about to make a presentation about my dad and I am writing down a few sentences which I am not sure it is correct or not. So please can you correct it for me if necessary? Thanks in advance. The parts which have me confused are written in red :)

Being born into a socially lower-class family in the middle of the war, my father was allowed to become a blue-collar worker at a very young age. Later in his old age, he always recall with pride and tells me that these experience had equipped him with sufficient skills to survive in time of dearth.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Being born into a socially lower-class family in the middle of the war, my father was allowed to become a blue-collar worker at a very young age. Later in his old age, he always recall with pride and tells me that these experience had equipped him with sufficient skills to survive in time of dearth.

I'm going to keep as close to your wording as possible.
My father was born into a working-class family in the middle of the war and became a blue-collar worker at a very young age. Later, in his old age, he would recall these experiences with pride, and tell me that they had equipped him with the skills he needed to survive in hard times.

Last edited:

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
thanks so much for helping me :)

-hell_boy-

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
and could anyone kindly tell me whether I am right or wrong if I change the latter sentence to this: Later, in his old age, he would recall these experiences with pride, telling me that they had equipped him with the skills he needed to survive in hard times.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Status
Not open for further replies.