Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Qatar
Is it right to say " I have found the movie that your sister suggested , on YouTube." Or
" I found the movie that your sister suggested, on YouTube "
How do I know and be sure which tense to use when I talk about something that has happened a few hours ago or days ago?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it was a few hours ago, use the present perfect. I would not use a comma after "suggested" in either sentence. If it was a few days ago, the simple past would be fine.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think you could only use the simple past if 'ago' was mentioned, even if it was just a few minutes ago, but I am not a teacher.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Have found" is more BrE, "found" is common in AmE, in such a context.

Oll Korrect

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
To add to what Konungursvia wrote, I believe that's the only significant grammatical difference between British and American English. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

American's don't apply the British rule about actions in the past, results in the present-- "I found my keys" sounds fine to me as an American. Also, the present perfect sounds more formal and "significant" to us: "I've found it!" sounds like Archimedes speaking.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To add to what Konungursvia wrote, I believe that's the only significant grammatical difference between British and American English. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

American's don't apply the British rule about actions in the past, results in the present-- "I found my keys" sounds fine to me as an American. Also, the present perfect sounds more formal and "significant" to us: "I've found it!" sounds like Archimedes speaking.
Another is the way the Brits use collective nouns with plural verbs. The head office are pleased. The team are in shape. The army are considering new training methods. We only do so with the police I believe, with any frequency. Another is their use of segmentation in colloquial speech (subject appearing twice): He's a good lad, he is. I think there are others.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The subjunctive comes to mind.

Status